W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60

What can I expect with these mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008 | 07:34 PM

2001: Supercharged E55 AMG
What can I expect with these mods?

Today I booked a time to have a company make a handmade double stainless steel full flow exhaust with 2 high flow sport catalyst instead of the 4 original once. And after that I'm going to take my car to a tuning company to let them tune the electronics in the engine for 99 octane Shell V-Power fuel.

I wonder what I might expect after that? Close to 400 HP ought to be pretty reasonable right??

Magnus
Old 03-17-2008 | 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by ABALONE
Today I booked a time to have a company make a handmade double stainless steel full flow exhaust with 2 high flow sport catalyst instead of the 4 original once. And after that I'm going to take my car to a tuning company to let them tune the electronics in the engine for 99 octane Shell V-Power fuel.

I wonder what I might expect after that? Close to 400 HP ought to be pretty reasonable right??

Magnus
..............Nope. You will probably not make any power from those mods. Sorry. Further if you tune your car for higher octane, your ECU will pull timming when you use lower octane and you will loose a lot of power.

Ted
Old 03-18-2008 | 02:26 AM

2001 E55K
I would say small power is to be gained from eliminated 1 set of cats... maybe 5-10 whp. also a bit from high octane software and fuel.... but you're not going to get 400

Are you doing custom headers as well?
Old 03-18-2008 | 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..............Nope. You will probably not make any power from those mods. Sorry.
Ted

Could you please tell me why you think it won't add any power? I've heard of a few with E55 over here that has done the same mods and tuned the software and they say that there was a big improvment in power.

Just to clarify. With the new exhaust there will be only 2 2 high flow sport catalyst in total (not 4). And the last silencer will be replaced with a high flow silencer.

Ok if it won't add any power at least I get a more masculine engine sound
Old 03-26-2008 | 06:10 PM

An update.
I tuned/changed the software here in Sweden today at a really good company which have been tuning (AMG's for an example) for over 10 years in Germany. And though I still have the stock exhaust system (Will change it in 2 weeks) I have to say that there is actually quite a big difference in both torque and power And with the new exhaust system I think this car will be really fast I'm going to take it to a dyno machine to let me know how many HP I have.
They also opened up the V-max limit, and I had to try it on the way home (Empty highway of course) and when I hit a little bit over 270 Km/h I had to break due to the road started turning, but the car was actually still pulling. So a 280 Km/t on the meter or more shouldn't be a problem when the exhaust is mounted I guess

Old 03-26-2008 | 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by jeff.bisonett
I would say small power is to be gained from eliminated 1 set of cats... maybe 5-10 whp. also a bit from high octane software and fuel.... but you're not going to get 400

Are you doing custom headers as well?
Sorry missed your question. No, no headers. When you write 5-10 whp, is that Wheel Horse Power? 10 whp is actually a few more in the engine due to the transmission lost. So I would guess I will probably reach closer to 400 Hp then the stock 354 HP when all is mounted on my car. Maybe a 380-385hp. The dyno will tell in a few weeks
Old 03-27-2008 | 09:07 AM

2002 e55 w211 ....
hi there, you talk about a hi flow exhaust..... if you take your standard 1 off and look through the rear box it is TOTALLY STRAIGHT THROUGH... so a it is in essence a hi-flow..... if you cange the back box that will be noise only!!

the main advantage i think would be to get some headers made!!