Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG
Overheating problem i think. NEED HELP!

Hi guys.
My 99 E55 AMG has been hovering around the 100 degree mark on the thermostat where the centre is 80 and has recently began to stall when i stop at traffic lights. The car then will not start for some time.
I live in the middle east so temperature is pretty hot but shouldnt be enough to overheat a merc.
I have thought that the thermostat in the engine is not opening when it should and keeping the engine too hot. The electric temperature sensor in the engine is then cutting the engine out to stop it from blowing a head gasket and wont let me turn it back on until it has cooled down.
I have put it into the mercedes service centre where it has just undergone a pressure test to see if it leakes (Something that I havent asked for) and surprise it is not leaking.
The guy at Mercedes is pissing me off and ive told him to just check the thermostat but he is doing the major service i told him to do after the car was fixed now so on saturday after the service he is going to test drive and see if it still cut out after driving for a bit. He says that hovering just below 100 degrees is normal. He says the crankshaft sensor may be the cause of the fuel pressure. I know more than the average bear on cars and engines but dont know what there problems could have to do with these parts. can you guys explain this to me or give me your suggestions as to what may be wrong or if you've had a problem like this before.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 E55 AMG
Just looked at this post
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=stall

saying that it was the crankshaft sensor. Is this something someone can do by themself or should this be done by a mechanic?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:05 PM

2000 E55 AMG
The installation appears easy. But, the location of the CPS is a bear. I would take it to an independent MB shop. It should not be more than an hour's labor. Good luck.