W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously,is headers worth it on a N/A engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001: Supercharged E55 AMG
Seriously,is headers worth it on a N/A engine?

Over here in Sweden a pair of Kleemann headers to my W210 E55 is a litte bit over US $6000 mounted and all. It's a lot of money, but I'm having second thoughts on plowing this kind of money on a pair of headers if the gain isn't so big. I've heard stories that the E55 original manifolds are both really great, and others say that they are really bad

Another thought is to buy from US and save a bit, but if the gain isn't really that big I feel it isn't really worth the effort

Is it true that the most gain when putting headers is if the car has a supercharger with high boost or is extremely high revving?

Educate me
Old 06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by ABALONE
Is it true that the most gain when putting headers is if the car has a supercharger with high boost or is extremely high revving?
Not necessarily.

Originally Posted by ABALONE
Educate me
Just do it!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55K
$6k is a lot for headers! Kleemann headers aren't that special either... I talked to a local shop here and they said they would weld them up (Kleemann clones) for about $150 each side. I think I might see what a local shop you trust could do... because for 6k I think you could make some sweet custom headers!

Generally speaking long tube headers help low end torque, short tube are better for higher revving or boost.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:04 AM
Banned

1996 C36 AMG
Stock headers are absolute garbage. The primaries are only 1.4" (tiny) and they come out perpendicular (90 degrees for the geometry impared) to the main downtube of the headers. Further more the exit flang is also very tiny. A 1.75" headers will give you much better flow characteristics. Most shorty headers will give you about 10-15HP, most long tubes 15-20 on big V8s. The long tubes require alot more work though so most prefer shorties due to ease of installation as well as removability.