W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60

How much are E55 running costs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2008 | 01:43 AM

Tesla Model 3
Post How much are E55 running costs?

Hello to all the MB lovers out there!

I was thinking about getting an E55 and I was curious to find out how much running costs are in general. I know many people will say if you think about the running costs than you probably can't afford it, but I think thats bs. I always do my hw before buying something, and it has never hurt. I want to make sure that I buy a car that I can properly maintain, because an E55 is after all an AMG, not a Civic.

I'm prepared to shell out some $, but not waste a fortune on it, honestly.

So, E55 owners, how much do you generally spend on the car per year? (excluding gas and tires obviously)

Also, any particular trouble spots I should look for when searching for one? I have heard that they're pretty reliable, am I wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Eddy
Old 06-29-2008 | 02:50 AM
Esh

E55
I've only had mine for a couple months now but have already noticed a few things to look for. Look for pixels missing on the displays in the dash. Check all seats for an ABS warning light (will come on when someone's sitting in the seat if faulty). Check the brakes because there's nothing like buying a car and having to put $1500 in for new brakes (you need new rotors and pads EVERY brake service)

As far as average costs, just be ready for a $150 oil change (unless you plan to go about doing it yourself), an A/B service, and a MAF sensor every once in a while. Then there's the little things, electrical or cosmetic mostly. Little things may seem small in your eyes, but at $400 or so a pop with labor adds up pretty quick.

This is not an extensive list, just things I've noticed. Also try the search button or hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 06-29-2008 | 11:44 AM

2000 E55 AMG
Depending on your driving. Be prepared to replace the rear tires every 10K - 15K. 391 lbs. of torque is hell on the rears.
Old 06-29-2008 | 02:22 PM

Tesla Model 3
thanks for the replies so far. thank you especially for telling me about the brakes, I had no idea it required pads and rotors every brake service.

i can imagine about the tires, a lot of hp and torque means a lot of money on tires.

and as far as the little things go, I know about those. after all, it's a mercedes. what seems like a small and cheap part always ends up costing a whole s**tload of money.

my 190e is nothing compared to an e55, but because it's so old, the small parts are pretty expensive. I also know from my porsche, things can get really really expensive there.
Old 07-02-2008 | 07:56 PM

2000 BMW M5
Pads and rotors are not required with every brake service. You should replace rotors every other pad change. This is completely dependent on brake rotor wear. There are measurement specifications given on the rotor. The rotor should be measured every pad change. As I said, based on this measurement, you should only have to replace rotors every other pad change.

Rear window regulators are pretty common in breaking, though it is an easy DIY change. A dealer will kill you on labor. We charged 1.5 hours to do this, takes about 15 minutes when you do them twice a week.
Old 07-03-2008 | 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Tune ups can cost a couple under easily...16 plugs and wires. My engine ended up misfiring in two cylinders. Turned out to only need ignition coils for each cylinder since plugs and wires were already changed.

These cars are really good though. I would say electrical goes bad before anything else. This is probably true with most. I miss mine though. Once you get one, you won't want to give it up.