Renntech Carbon Fiber Air intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Renntech Carbon Fiber Air intake

Can someone enlighten me as to what is different about the Renntech Carbon Fiber Air intake? I know about the fancy looks and the K&N filters..but to my knowledge it still uses the OEM snorkles attached to the OEM locations, so is it an overall larger box, larger filters or ??? The GruppeM one is obviously different in several ways but what about the Renntech?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by maxwerks
Can someone enlighten me as to what is different about the Renntech Carbon Fiber Air intake? I know about the fancy looks and the K&N filters..but to my knowledge it still uses the OEM snorkles attached to the OEM locations, so is it an overall larger box, larger filters or ??? The GruppeM one is obviously different in several ways but what about the Renntech?
When I curiously inquired at Renntech 2-months ago (here in FL) about that intake for the w210, the tech told me not to do it unless I'm gonna track my car and continue to supercharge it. He said the stock AMG intake & exhaust flows good enough already for a stock unit and only minimal gains will be realized on the street level. He also added that AMG does a very good job for being OEM. He actually said to opt for the ECU tuning instead, but hinted the fact that a supercharger will really be the best hp/tq upgrade for the w210 E55. I declined since I'm not out to be the fastest out there anyway, and the stock configuration is good enough for a normal MB enthusiast like me.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 335i 03 CLK55 AMG
I had the RENNtech carbon fiber airbox on my C43 for a little while so I can give some input. The difference between the stock airbox and the renntech is obviously that the renntech is carbon fiber, while the stock is not, also the renntech is completely smooth inside, while the stock has ridges, so the renntech would help air flow more smoothly. Also the base of the renntech box is a bit more raised and roomy the then stock airbox, allowing more air to get in quicker than the stock airbox. I went from a stock airbox with paper filters to a RENNtech box with green filters, I can say I felt a small difference in initial torque, usually when you floor the car it takes a second to kick in, it felt a little more prompt on the delivery of the low end power with the renntech. The price is definitely very expensive for the minimal gains, but if you can get one cheaper then Renntech's price, and want a nice looking engine piece, I'd have to recommend it.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
+1 Luckily for me my E5 was pretty well put together (Special Shut Out to JimmytheGreek Gamiso!) Lot's of write ups on this topic. I for one like the looks of it and agree with more air flow = quicker response time, hence less restriction in air flow,