Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG
Quad Pipe Project

Hi Guys & gals

Right, I got a bit of time on my hands and would like to take my 99 E55 and give it quads. I havent got the money to change the headers but I'm going to give the rest of the line a go and hopefully upgrade later.

If anyone has done this can you please give me all the info you can.

Im going to put the car on a jack at my garage and draw a layout. I've got 19's on her so ive taken out the rear tire for weight and cause its an 18 and uneeded. I'll take a torch to the tire well and cut it to make room for the pipe on the right. Basically, im hoping to match the pipe system before they join at the cat. I havent measure the pipes but im assuming they are 2.5 inches diameter.
The piping im going to draw out and then get bent somewhere, but im unsure of the layout under the car. if anyone has done this already, can you tell me the run from the headers to the tailpipes and if you invested in hi-flow silences/mufflers/cats.
Also id like to use an x-pipe system so if anyone knows if i can get this made from a weilder/metalworkshop and fitted or if they need to be manufactured for each specific car and placed in a specific area/distance to be effective.

Any help on this would be great.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG
PS: if i get this done ill be documenting the build so i should have a lot of info for a write-up should anyone else want to put quads on!
Old 07-20-2008, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
The amount of work you are describing exceeds the price of headers BTW. Also the headers will yield far more benefit...though I am with you and I agree that quad exhaust will look great. If you are planning to use two separate mufflers you have to be careful to the back pressure just right, the only one I have seen that is done correctly is Ted Baldwin's car, I think he had two magnaflow mufflers ( you can check the previous posts on his project ) . The X pipe is not worth making custom, look into Ebay and you ll see several premade, I have one in stainless @2.5 diamater, I put min all the way upfront , getting rid of the secondary cats, and the resonator, and mandrel pipes to the AMG muffler for now ( I love it ) , and the nest step is converting to the quad exhaust.
Several German tuners have a quad kits for our cars, but never seen one with two separate mufflers, they are all based on the one muffler in the stock location , taking one exit pipe over to the right side and elbow it to the second set of twin pipes, short of looks I am not sure if it does anything . Keep us posted on your project. One thought I had was if the well for the spare is gone then my preference might be having a M3 style muffler parallel to the rear bumper, with two inlets and four outlets, alignment will be an issue, to get the precut cutout for the OEM tips to align with the new one, the other side will be cut custom anyway.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by maxwerks
The amount of work you are describing exceeds the price of headers BTW. Also the headers will yield far more benefit...though I am with you and I agree that quad exhaust will look great. If you are planning to use two separate mufflers you have to be careful to the back pressure just right, the only one I have seen that is done correctly is Ted Baldwin's car, I think he had two magnaflow mufflers ( you can check the previous posts on his project ) . The X pipe is not worth making custom, look into Ebay and you ll see several premade, I have one in stainless @2.5 diamater, I put min all the way upfront , getting rid of the secondary cats, and the resonator, and mandrel pipes to the AMG muffler for now ( I love it ) , and the nest step is converting to the quad exhaust.
Several German tuners have a quad kits for our cars, but never seen one with two separate mufflers, they are all based on the one muffler in the stock location , taking one exit pipe over to the right side and elbow it to the second set of twin pipes, short of looks I am not sure if it does anything . Keep us posted on your project. One thought I had was if the well for the spare is gone then my preference might be having a M3 style muffler parallel to the rear bumper, with two inlets and four outlets, alignment will be an issue, to get the precut cutout for the OEM tips to align with the new one, the other side will be cut custom anyway.

I have looked into doing this just for looks. Which German tuners are you referring to?
Old 07-22-2008, 03:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 W210 E55// 2007 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
You can do a setup like this...cleaner I hope

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/238027-magnaflow-exhaust-dual-tips-pics-video.html

The best quad exhaust setup I've seen on a W210 is this one...ignore the fender slats...but the back of this car looks awesome. Wonder where he got this bumper?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDUaTt-CyaM

Jim

Last edited by Tacjam; 07-22-2008 at 03:38 AM.