Sponsored by:

Too much HP loss on Dyno?? Need advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E55 AMG
Too much HP loss on Dyno?? Need advice!

After I got my '98 E55 AMG last year, I took it to Dyno a while ago. During the runs, I turned the ESP engine off, but the ESP indicators continued flashing on the odometer throughout the runs. I guess that I could not totally turn off the ESP and entered into a dyno mode.

As a result, I got a very low RWHP which is around 269hp with a tourque of 36.3 kgm. However, on the street, my car is running fine with reasonable fuel consumption (7.5km/l).

Is there any problem with my car? I guess most of you get about 10% more rwhp than mine (i.e. close to 300 rwhp - not sure about the tourque). Did you guys somehow totally disable ESP while you had yours on the run? Does the ESP (once switched off) still have any effect on the result of the dyno?

Please advice!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:33 PM

07 Z06, 08 Rover Sport, 03 Dmax, 13 Diavel
ahh..yes.. this car is tough to dyno. you need to however completely disable the ESP and ABS system and to do that, u need to pull the plug on it. it is located in the engine bay, by the driver side strut tower. if you do a search in this forum, u'll see a pic with the location circled. search "dyno" and it'll come up.

with that disabled completely, it still tough to dyno. your dyno operator basically has to hit the gas after the torque converter locks, which is ~3000 rpm. leave it in 3rd and run it up to redline. your speed should get up to 155mph.
thats how my guy dynoed the car... mine made 299rwhp and 333rwtq. only mod was the x-pipe, but i had heavier wheels on it too.

good luck!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:59 PM

2001 E55K
It also depends on what kind of dyno... Your number sounds about right for a Mustang dyno, maybe a little on the low side. If you were on a dynojet, then I'd be concerned

One possible cause for a lower hp reading is a dirty MAF. Try cleaning the one you have and see if your E55 feels any more 'zippy'