Sponsored by:

Noise with ESP on when turning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG 1999
Noise with ESP on when turning

I got my car back from the dealer and they said the noise I heard when turning sharply was my tires... I don't believe them.

I discovered when I have the ESP on and I go around a tight corner like a tight cloverleaf and turn sharply, I hear a dull rhythmic grinding noise (gaar,gaar,gaar,gaar) that slows the car as if you were pumping the brakes lightly. I can replicate it by going in tight circles, either direction in a parking lot. To me it sounds like a CV joint but the sound appears to come from the front of the car.

If I turn the ESP off, I don't (or haven't yet) heard the noise.

This isn't normal ESP operation, is it? Any one else have this problem? The car's a 99 E55 AMG.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 PM

99 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mr. Natural
I got my car back from the dealer and they said the noise I heard when turning sharply was my tires... I don't believe them.

I discovered when I have the ESP on and I go around a tight corner like a tight cloverleaf and turn sharply, I hear a dull rhythmic grinding noise (gaar,gaar,gaar,gaar) that slows the car as if you were pumping the brakes lightly. I can replicate it by going in tight circles, either direction in a parking lot. To me it sounds like a CV joint but the sound appears to come from the front of the car.

If I turn the ESP off, I don't (or haven't yet) heard the noise.

This isn't normal ESP operation, is it? Any one else have this problem? The car's a 99 E55 AMG.
I also have a 99, but do not get this noise. Though I always drive with my ESP off to save my rear brakes.

Good luck in finding the cause....
Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 PM

BMW
Mine does this. The ESP is sensing the rear wheels spinning at massively different speeds and reacting to it. I really only hear it going up driveway ramps at an angle. You hear and feel the ESP going off...sounds like grinding ropes and alittle springiness of a sound peppered up in there.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 AM

E55 AMG 1999
Thanks, glad to hear it's a "feature" and not a problem...