Heads Up on an Interesting Deal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Heads Up on an Interesting Deal

I don't know if you E55 guys (and gals) browse the bmwm5.com messageboard, but if you do, you would be familiar with the Tire Rack hidden deal. Apparently, they have a big inventory of Michelin Pilot Sports 275/35ZR18 tire that are OEM Viper front tires. This tire is the same size as the rear M5 tire and also the W210 E55. Normally, the regular tires cost $327 each...but these cost $177 each. There are very slight differences because Dodge engineers had these tires made to spec. A Sales Rep from Tire Rack posted on our Board to clear up some misconceptions about the tires. You can check the bmwm5.com messageboard for further detail. I bought a pair myself...even though I don't need them yet. I enjoy your board and just wanted to give you guys a heads up if you are interested.

Tom
Old 02-02-2003, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Thanks for the heads up! That's a great price, and at the rate we spin our rear tires we might need em. Can you highlight the difference between the Viper spec ones and the OEM M5/E55 ones?
Old 02-03-2003, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Thanks for post.

It was previously posted in the "Tire" section:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=pilot+sport

I too would like to know the differences. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
This is from Tire Rack Sales Rep Luke Pavlick's post on the M5 board:

Here are the facts:

The C1 Viper specific Pilot Sport tire can be used on an M5 with no ... I repeat, NO adverse reactions from your M5. It is physically wider then the standard Pilot Sport by about 1/2". The tread design is slightly different just because of the width (similar to your current front to rear difference). It was manufactured this way because of the Viper requirements as requested by Dodge engineers (the rear tire is also wider than normal). It has a more squared off shoulder area which was achieved during the construction of the tire which naturally leads to a wider tread contact area.

In a follow-up post he went on to give reasons for the huge price discount:

Ok, so everybody is wondering how we can offer such a low price. The reason is actually very simple.

Dodge and Michelin engineered these tires specifically for the Viper but, Viper sales dropped off dramtically last year because, the people who were going to be buying Vipers waited, or are waiting, for the "new" Viper model and it does not use the same tires. The Michelin engineers knew that the new Viper uses different tires but, I guess they didn't tell the production guys.

So, Michelin had over produced the tires and because of their lack of planning (or atleast correct planning) they had to many of them so, they offered us a discount which we inturn pass along to you (as well as Corvette and Viper owners).

thought you would like to know

ASE Certified Master Tech
For more info on any post
or to place an order please
call 800-428-8355 ext. 362
for on-line orders mention
my name in the previous
contact field for prompt
personal service.
www.tirerack.com

I want to die peacefully in my sleep
Like my Grandfather
Not screaming and frightened like
the passengers in his car !!!
Old 02-04-2003, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
FYI, I bought the Viper Specific Pilot Sport and I love them. They stick like glue.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally posted by jcjmw
FYI, I bought the Viper Specific Pilot Sport and I love them. They stick like glue.
jcjmw, Do they have an obvious different or slightly different look to them do to the broader shoulders? Can you tell the difference between the two visually - the Viper Pilot Sport and the regular Pilot Sport.