Sponsored by:

HEADWORKS...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
99 model w210 e55 amg
HEADWORKS...

guys has anyone tried porting and polishing the cylinder head to increase the intake and exhaust flow on the cylinder head? and also to increase the velocity on the air intake port and exhaust port? do you think by doing this we can get a good amount of power? also doing some work on the bowl of the head to maybe improving the combustion and gaining some amount of compression? thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Honestly, that's the very last mod you should be thinking about. If you haven't done all the possible bolt-ons available then doing that won't be worth time and especially the money. Also, doing that without doing cams would yet again be a waste of time & money since we have very torque cams that limit just how much top end HP these cars can make. The heads flow decently well can can easily handle 400HP+ easily with NA mods. If you want to spend all that money you might as well just sell your car and get a newer body style AMG. Just being honest.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
oh ok! im planing on having my head conditioned cause what e have is a 10 year old car. so im planing on having my seals and gaskes replaced by a new one so with the head openmyt aswell do the headwork alos ... my friend is offering it to me for a very low price about 1000usd for the headworks he has a flowbench so we can make sure it wont get over ported...... thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Theres no need to rebuild your head, but if you are OCD about preventative maintenance then I guess you can but that money would be better spent elsewhere. If you insist on breaking down the head and taking it apart, then yes, it would make sense to go ahead and P&P the head, but honestly don't expect that much in power, without the hardware upgrades, it won't do much on a relatively stock car. Now if you get headers, pulleys, high flow cats, software, K&N filters and a few other things... yes it makes sense but don't expect anything big initially until you get those modifications. hope that helps.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Theres no need to rebuild your head, but if you are OCD about preventative maintenance then I guess you can but that money would be better spent elsewhere. If you insist on breaking down the head and taking it apart, then yes, it would make sense to go ahead and P&P the head, but honestly don't expect that much in power, without the hardware upgrades, it won't do much on a relatively stock car. Now if you get headers, pulleys, high flow cats, software, K&N filters and a few other things... yes it makes sense but don't expect anything big initially until you get those modifications. hope that helps.

thats the thng hehehhe. i kinda sensitve on the maintanance thingy... i already have headers, high flow pipes and x pipe ,filters and software upgrade.. im thinking of i myt get some few more HP and TQ with the headwork..... thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Then in that case, it makes sense, but the most you will probably get is 10-15HP, but still if you are rebuilding the heads, that would be the best time to do so.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E55 AMG
Pinoyk20,
I remember when you started asking about the mods, you just wanted all bolt on stuff. Now you're getting into head works and later maybe something else. Nothing wrong with that, if it makes you happy. By the time you get all these little mods that you want done you would have spent a considerable amount by the time you add them all up. And as AMS has stated, you may not get the increase in power you are expecting. Remember, that numbers and the actual good old Butt Dyno can be two different things and feel. So, why not look into getting a super charger instead. I'm already drooling over ABALONE's.

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2009, 12:32 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
hhahaha it will be a long time of saving money for a supercharger hehehehe im saving for another car also eheh. i really want a supercharger im only scared of the tuning problem because we are way so far from US and our quality of gasoline here in our country is not as good as US. also there will be a problem on the tuner.... so basically im planing on rebuilding the head myt aswell do a headwork to gain som little ponies hehehe... but its still 50/50 im still reseachin on th parts i will be needin on doing a head rebuild...

btw what parts do i need to rebuid the head what i have on my list are

headgasket x2
valveseal 24pcs
intakemanifold gasket x2
exhaust manifold gasket x2

is there anything else that i be needin? thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Pinoy,

I would recommend staying NA for your application, you still have more power to extract out of the car like crank pulley, accessory pulleys & a few other options as well so you aren't completely at a dead end but you have done many of them already.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:13 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
thanks im looking at the crank pulley and accesory pullet just doing some more research about it.. bTW what are the parts that ll be needin on doing a complete top overhaul or even engine overhaul? thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 AM

W210 E55 AMG
Pinoy,

I would recommend staying NA for your application, you still have more power to extract out of the car like crank pulley, accessory pulleys & a few [COLOR="Red"]other options[/COLOR] as well so you aren't completely at a dead end but you have done many of them already.
AMS,
Strictly sticking NA, what would the other options be other than having to open up the engine and changing internal parts?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by Silver Logic
Strictly sticking NA, what would the other options be other than having to open up the engine and changing internal parts?
I'm sure AMS has some ideas, but I might suggest weight reduction (i.e. lighter battery, lighter wheels), phenolic spacers for the intake manifold (especially in a hot climate), heat wrapping the intake box and intake tubes, stickier tires (better traction means faster), and other things like that.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
Originally Posted by saintz
I'm sure AMS has some ideas, but I might suggest weight reduction (i.e. lighter battery, lighter wheels), phenolic spacers for the intake manifold (especially in a hot climate), heat wrapping the intake box and intake tubes, stickier tires (better traction means faster), and other things like that.

does the phenolic spacers really work? where canwe get one? is there a company that makes big thotrle bodys for our engine? lighter battery what type can we use? intake box is renntech worth it? thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Tires are key, as is weight reduction. The reduction of 150+ pounds can be felt (as can light weight wheels & tires). You probably aren't even putting all HP down to the ground now with your current tires. TC never really turns off even when you push the trac off button, so it could easily be holding back due to insufficient grip. I would recommend Dunlap Direzza Z1 star spec tires.

Running both crank pulley & accessory pulleys will free up every last HP out of your serpentine system and give you amazing low to mid rage as well as high end HP. Normally, other then that you can do custom software tuned for high octane, but as you said earlier, you are worried about octane in your country so I wouldn't recommend it for you. If you are doing heads, I would definitely up the exhaust ports by roughly 2mm and smoothen out the exhaust ports. Between the two crank pulley makes more up to 5000rpm, but accessory pulleys make more after 5000rpm (but do very little below that).

On the intake side its better to leave the surface rougher, but there may be a few key areas in which you can remove material to improve flow, but honestly AMG heads are pretty well flowing as is, most of the power to be made is probably on the exhaust side of the head since the stock exhaust ports are slightly smaller than 1.5" (roughly 37-38mm). Increasing that to 40mm would improve potential airflow by 10.8% while still being small enough to fit most headers. You don't want to go any bigger than 40mm really.

Last edited by AMS Performance; 08-18-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:31 PM

99 model w210 e55 amg
thanks for the very nice tips ams! ill look into it !
Old 08-18-2009, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
Phenolic spacers:
http://www.modernhorsepower.com/cgi-...63THERMALNON55

There may be another brand, I'm not positive. They will give you a little boost on very hot days or with hot/hard running.

You can find more about lightweight batteries if you search here (try Braille, Optima, etc.).

Hooleyboy on this forum did a comparison: stock N/A airbox, stock kompressor airbox, and Renntech airbox. Basically, the stock and kompressor boxes are about the same. The Renntech airbox gives some small gain (I think about 8 hp).
Old 08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
I would recommend Dunlap Direzza Z1 star spec tires.
These look like great tires. I tried to get some feedback on different tires:
https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...nce-value.html

The Dunlop looks like basically the best all around performance tire made.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Correct,

The stock AMG airboxes are great, all you need is K&N filters and you are pretty much set. Until our Big bore throttle body comes out for the M113s V8s there is really nothing else that can be done on the intake side of the motor. After all, it is a cold/ram air setup from the factory so really air filters are all you need.

phenolic spacers won't really do anything on an NA car, they are meant more for kompressors car that have very high temps due to boost & SC heat. On an NA car they won't do anything really.

Now, in theory, you could have the entire outside of the stock intake manifold coated with a true heat resistant ceramic coated to make sure as much of the heat stays outside the intake as much as possible, this will do much more than heat wrapping intake tubes or the airbox (which is pointless b/c the massive stock intake manifold is made of metal, where as the airbox & intake pipes are made of heat insulating plastic).

Lightweight batteries are good, but these AMGs have alot of drain when the cars are off, you have the drive the car at least once every 3 days. You definitely cannot go 12 days without starting the car (speaking from experience).

Hope that helps

Phenolic spacers:

There may be another brand, I'm not positive. They will give you a little boost on very hot days or with hot/hard running.

You can find more about lightweight batteries if you search here (try Braille, Optima, etc.).

Hooleyboy on this forum did a comparison: stock N/A airbox, stock kompressor airbox, and Renntech airbox. Basically, the stock and kompressor boxes are about the same. The Renntech airbox gives some small gain (I think about 8 hp).

Last edited by AMS Performance; 08-18-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 PM

When do the throttle bodies come out for the m113 engines?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
Phenolic spacers:

thanks on the site of the phenolic spacers i have experience uisng those king of spacers on my previuos cars and it works well cause i live in a hot country. il look into getting one set for my 55. on the side of the renntech airbox hmmm 8hp for 1899USD wow ill think of it also alot of money for small gain.....but im aos considering it cause i want to maximize the NA power of the 55
Old 08-19-2009, 12:39 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
Correct,

The stock AMG airboxes are great, all you need is K&N filters and you are pretty much set. Until our Big bore throttle body comes out for the M113s V8s there is really nothing else that can be done on the intake side of the motor. After all, it is a cold/ram air setup from the factory so really air filters are all you need.

phenolic spacers won't really do anything on an NA car, they are meant more for kompressors car that have very high temps due to boost & SC heat. On an NA car they won't do anything really.

Now, in theory, you could have the entire outside of the stock intake manifold coated with a true heat resistant ceramic coated to make sure as much of the heat stays outside the intake as much as possible, this will do much more than heat wrapping intake tubes or the airbox (which is pointless b/c the massive stock intake manifold is made of metal, where as the airbox & intake pipes are made of heat insulating plastic).

Lightweight batteries are good, but these AMGs have alot of drain when the cars are off, you have the drive the car at least once every 3 days. You definitely cannot go 12 days without starting the car (speaking from experience).

Hope that helps

thanks AMS. thats true about drain in the car. im xcited about sour throtlle bodies. when is it coming out? thanks and alos doesnt the Knn filter cause thr MAF to go crazy?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by pinoyk20
thanks AMS. thats true about drain in the car. im xcited about sour throtlle bodies. when is it coming out? thanks and alos doesnt the Knn filter cause thr MAF to go crazy?
Hello Pinoy,

Most likely late '09/ Early '10, lots of R&D required so it will take time. No, K&N filter is totally fine.

Last edited by AMS Performance; 08-19-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
thanks! ams its already 09 ehehhehehehe
Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by pinoyk20
thanks! ams its already 09 ehehhehehehe
My bad, 09/10 haha, jeeez this year is going by way too fast
Old 08-19-2009, 05:23 AM

W210 E55 AMG
A lot of good info. Thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HEADWORKS...