W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission FLUSH at Dealer?yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
Transmission FLUSH at Dealer?yay or nay?

just called my local dealer MB of Sacramento and asked for a quote on a transmission service for my 2001 E55. The advisor told me they use about 10qts of fluid, new trans filter, pan gasket AND they use a machine to flush the tranny.

They said they dont drain and fill anymore as the machine makes it easier.

does this sound right? i always assumed that MB transmissions should never be flushed by a machine?

someone familiar with the procedure in the WIS please chime in.

thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Lawrence1
just called my local dealer MB of Sacramento and asked for a quote on a transmission service for my 2001 E55. The advisor told me they use about 10qts of fluid, new trans filter, pan gasket AND they use a machine to flush the tranny.

They said they dont drain and fill anymore as the machine makes it easier.

does this sound right? i always assumed that MB transmissions should never be flushed by a machine?

someone familiar with the procedure in the WIS please chime in.

thanks.
The drain and fill method is the optimum application. Given the lack of a torque converter drain plug in year 2001 E55, the flush method is your only option. *FYI, Year 1999 E55, and year 2000 E55 (pre production date 09/99), has a torque converter drain plug. The flush method has become the norm at most transmission shops; MBZ not excluded. The flush method is quicker and cleaner. Nonetheless, I am of the opinion that this method is at incomplete. At least 15% of the transmission fluid sits in the torque converter. The flush method bypasses the torque converter. Eventually, one is left with a 85/15 mix of new and old transmission fluid. With this in mind, I would recommend a maximum 50K transmission service interval as opposed to the OEM recommended 100K interval....insane.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Changing the filter requires dropping the pan, which means you need to drain it in order to change the filter. You want to avoid any shop that does a flush as a substitute for changing the filter. If they're doing both, more power to them. One easy way, if you can't flush it, is to change the filter, put in new fluid, run it for a while, and then change the fluid again. The cost of the fluid for two changes is about the same as the cost to do a flush.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
thanks for the help guys.

i decided to go to a independent shop that specializes in MB. they're going to drop the pan change the filter and put in new fluid and flush it by disconnecting the return line and getting most of the fluid out that way. this is the WIS procedure and there's also a DIY on this forum, in the non-AMG W210 section.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
That sounds like a good option.