Sponsored by:

Steering wheel noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Steering wheel noise

I did a search on this and came up with nothing. Normally I drive around with my windows open and the radio on and things but last night I was driving with the wife with the windows up and the radio off. Holy sh*t does my steering wheel make a lot of noise. Obviously you don't notice it on the highway or probably much during regular driving, but when you're driving around trying to find somewhere to park and constantly doing loops my steering wheel squeaks like no other. Anyone else have this "issue" and if so is there a fix or solution? Just seems odd how much noise it makes.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 AM

W210 E55, W211 E3504M, E90 325i
I just read up on this somewhere here...iirc its simply something to do with a rubber boot or seal that either needs replacement or lubing.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
In a parking garage, your tires will be very loud on the pavement. This can be confused very easily with steering wheel/rack noise (ask me how I know). I've almost exclusively noticed this in parking garages (combination of slippery concrete and enclosed space for echo) and for some reason Mercedes, regardless of the type of tires fitted, do this more than other cars.

Steering noise is very common on these cars as well, so if you notice it on open asphalt, that's the issue. The best bet is to try topping off your power steering fluid. If you're talking a teaspoon, you're probably ok using generic brand from Autozone, but ideally and especially if you're replacing a lot, you want to use the expensive MB brand stuff. If topping off doesn't help, flushing the system will probably help. After that, you're talking about replacing various seals or perhaps even the whole steering rack, depending on the shop you take it to.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 AM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Originally Posted by KL2DC
I just read up on this somewhere here...iirc its simply something to do with a rubber boot or seal that either needs replacement or lubing.
This sounds more like what it could be.
I know it's not the tires or anything steering parts related. It's definitely just the actualy steering wheel making weird noises. So I'll see what I can do. Odds are I just live with it.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Fluid may still help. The steering racks are pretty picky.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
there is a seal in the rack that runs about $40 that fixes the problem.

The expensive part is the labor.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 PM

2001 E430 4matic
i hate to dig up an old thread , but is the seal in the actual steering column, or in the rack unit itself?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by schneckem
i hate to dig up an old thread , but is the seal in the actual steering column, or in the rack unit itself?
Seal in the Steering column.... I had it lubed /done before with my 99 E430. Very common problem, but if it's not to bad I would live with it

Armani
Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Whenever I'm in a parking lot backing up or moving forward with the wheels turned all the way to one side and the car goes over any road imperfections,like potholes,bumps,it makes this cracking noise,almost like a pop. I also feel a small vibration in the steering wheel,it's almost like it freezes for a fraction of a second and then it lets loose making the cracking sound. It also happens when I get off the sidewalk with the wheels turned to one side.
Could this be the rack? Anyone else has this problem?
I should also mention that I've changed the power steering reservoir,flushed the system and put MB power steering fluid. The steering is really smooth besides this problem and it doesn't make noise when I turn.
Thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
check control arm bushings and balljoints and tie rods.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:39 AM

Desired_speeds,you were right! Thanks.
Put it on the ramp yesterday...disaster!
Right lower control arm,cracked at the joint...rusted....afraid to drive now until the new one arrives in a couple of days. I replaced the left one 10k ago and the right one looked good....oh well...
Left side tie rod has play,the right one not too much...ordered both.
Ordered both ball joints.
Ordered left and right outer tie rod.
Driver side transmission oil cooling line leaking...ordered that too.
Now I have to install everything when they get here and do a wheel alignment.
Rear main seal leaking...not bad at all...had that for a long time...I understand these cars develop it around 60k. Wonder if I should do that too...the labor's a lot,no?

Last edited by Neanicu888; 05-31-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:04 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by Neanicu888
Rear main seal leaking...not bad at all...had that for a long time...I understand these cars develop it around 60k. Wonder if I should do that too...the labor's a lot,no?
I'd leave it, just check it periodically for signs of going from a seep to a real leak. I bought mine last summer. The service notes from the Dealership recommended changing the RMS due to leaking. It was in excess of $1k for the repair.

I did a service B (myself) and wiped all the oil away from the bellhousing. 9k miles later, I did a service A (myself again) and when I checked the bellhousing, there was very little oil accumulation. IMO, its better to leave it alone unless the leak is significant. Mine doesn't even leave drops in my parking spot. I had less than 1q of oil loss over 9k miles.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by billbillw
I'd leave it, just check it periodically for signs of going from a seep to a real leak. I bought mine last summer. The service notes from the Dealership recommended changing the RMS due to leaking. It was in excess of $1k for the repair.

I did a service B (myself) and wiped all the oil away from the bellhousing. 9k miles later, I did a service A (myself again) and when I checked the bellhousing, there was very little oil accumulation. IMO, its better to leave it alone unless the leak is significant. Mine doesn't even leave drops in my parking spot. I had less than 1q of oil loss over 9k miles.
That's what I'll do...leave it alone. It just pisses me off because it flies when I drive and ends up in the back of the transmission oil pan giving me the impression that the transmission is leaking. But no oil on the floor and I don't have to add any before the 10K service interval.