Sponsored by:

Vehicle history....Netstar report

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550, 02 CLK55 Cabrio - sold
Vehicle history....Netstar report

I've been wanting to buy an E55 for a long time, and I know how important it is to get the maintenance history (and a PPI) when buying one of these cars. But that can be a challenge when you buy a used car from a non-Mercedes dealer.

Last year, I looked at my first used E55, and went to the local Merc dealer where they promptly printed me out a 2 page VMI report, and a 2nd 13 page doc that I believe is a Netstar report(?). It just says "History Listing" on top of the first page, but goes on to be very detailed with all the technician notes in it. Is that a Netstar report? Are they only available from the dealer that worked on the car, or from any Merc dealer?

If I'm going to buy one of these cars used I really want that detailed report. Sadly, that first car I looked at was really abused. But now I see some cleaner looking ones close by.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
"Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get" Forrest Gump
Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
"Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get" Forrest Gump
+1

You're buying a 12-18k Used Car. Granted, when they were new, these were 70k+ cars, and the repair costs reflect that, but to ask for as detailed a report as what you are asking...

You have to take into account that 90%+ of these cars have now had more than 1 owner, and the newest of the W210 AMG is 8 years old. This car isn't a collectors car and probably won't be. Is it iconic, yes, in it's own way to Mercedes enthusiasts, but not to an average person.

It's a risk, and unless you're looking for a museum showpiece, you should expect some use from an 8 year old car that has likely had multiple owners and more than likely has seen an independent shop. I bought my car knowing this. I did my homework and did my research, and bought a car that met my requirements for the amount I was willing to spend. It is not a perfect showpiece, but it passed my mechanical and visual test.

To rephrase Peter's quote:

"W210 AMG's are like a box of chocolates: You can get whatever Netstar report you want, but with an 8+ year old car likely with multiple owners that aren't you, you just don't know exactly what you're going to get."

Speaking of buying a W210 AMG, is yours still for sale Peter? If so, the OP should definitely look into it. It's modded (S/C, big brakes, etc...) but it is in absolutely fantastic condition, I've seen it myself.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550, 02 CLK55 Cabrio - sold
I know exactly what your saying. I'm just trying to figure out what that big detailed report is called - Netstar I think - and how to get one for a car that might be in another state. I think I got lucky getting those two reports on the first car I looked at. I hate having a high mile car and not knowing what has or has not been done to it.

Doing research, carfax and gathering as many facts as possible, and then making a rational decision, will lead to buying less lemons over time. I've bought lemons in the past (and inevitably will have some more). But, as I continue to buy cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, etc - I've noticed I'm getting much better vehicles at much better prices then I used to. Years ago, I just looked a car over and listened to what the owner told me. That approach led to many lemons. I still look a car over and listen (grill) the owner, but get the records and history as well.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
What you're saying makes sense. I don't know much about the Netstar report.

As far as lemons go, Carfax and a good reliable shop for PPI's are the keys. I haven't purchased what I consider to be many vehicles, but the ones I have purchased have all been great. Meticulous maintenance records are good, but I don't find them absolutely essential. As long as they check out through carfax and a PPI at a trusted indy shop, I just follow my feelings on the previous owners maintenance habits.

They are in fact used cars. If I didn't feel confident in it, I would buy brand new. To each their own, I'm glad you are taking precautions to protect yourself from a lemon.