Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Remote Trunk opening

Need the experts AGAIN !!
I had my entire car interior and trunk taken apart... full dynamat...trunk, rear seat, floor pans .. all of the sudden the trunk wont open via the key fob, then it wont via the switch in the center...tried everything , nothing will open it AND the small red light inside the interior trunk opener switch is off... mind you the door locks work just fine, lock /unlock... just no trunk. I finally disconnected the negative on the battery, few minutes, reconnected it ... VOILA, trunk opens, ( still no red light on the switch ) .. close the trunk, locked the car.. now it doesnt work again... it doesnt want to work till I disconnect the (-) and reconnect..( reset something ) ...once I close it and lock the car, the trunk wont open again, my questions :
- Any ideas as to what on earth is going on ?
- Does the center switch for the trunk have a bulb in it that maybe burned out? can it be replaced ?or switch gone bad? but even w/o that switch , the trunk wont open except with the mechanical key.

Any ideas /help are greatly welcomed and appreciated. Best regards, Max

Last edited by maxwerks; 11-24-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: title
Old 11-25-2009, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Hey Max I had the same problem after getting my car back from the body shop. Open your trunk and remove the inner trunk lid cover and make sure all wires are connected to the trunk lid lights (all tail, etc.), plunger and there is a wire connected to the lock which tells the vacuum pump to open the lock. I would unplug and reconnect all wires on lid. This worked for me also check to see if lock lines up with lock mount as well and your done!

Also I'm moving back to Miami Shores Kendall is way to far from everything I do in Miami! Have fun....

Originally Posted by maxwerks
Need the experts AGAIN !!
I had my entire car interior and trunk taken apart... full dynamat...trunk, rear seat, floor pans .. all of the sudden the trunk wont open via the key fob, then it wont via the switch in the center...tried everything , nothing will open it AND the small red light inside the interior trunk opener switch is off... mind you the door locks work just fine, lock /unlock... just no trunk. I finally disconnected the negative on the battery, few minutes, reconnected it ... VOILA, trunk opens, ( still no red light on the switch ) .. close the trunk, locked the car.. now it doesnt work again... it doesnt want to work till I disconnect the (-) and reconnect..( reset something ) ...once I close it and lock the car, the trunk wont open again, my questions :
- Any ideas as to what on earth is going on ?
- Does the center switch for the trunk have a bulb in it that maybe burned out? can it be replaced ?or switch gone bad? but even w/o that switch , the trunk wont open except with the mechanical key.

Any ideas /help are greatly welcomed and appreciated. Best regards, Max
Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG, 2009 ML320 Bluetec
Has the black plastic liner been put back in place over the trunk latch? Had a similar issue this summer when re-aligning trunk lid and went too far and took entire trunk apart. Trunk would not open except for using the mechanical key. Found that when re-installed the plastic, trunk operated fine. I haven't had any trunk release issues using the key fob, console switch or trunk release since.
Might have been due to the 1/8 thick plastic and latch angle.

Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Dawson...
Thank you so much .. great pointers will check on that , my last thing on the agenda trunk wise is to put the dynamat under the carpet on the trunk lid , so the carpet has to be removed anyway.. ( I hope the extra weight wont screw things up hinges/ and springs wise!!

Great news that youre moving back to the shores...you will be close to me !!! It is about time we hook up for a beer. Best regards, Max

Originally Posted by Dawson AMG
Hey Max I had the same problem after getting my car back from the body shop. Open your trunk and remove the inner trunk lid cover and make sure all wires are connected to the trunk lid lights (all tail, etc.), plunger and there is a wire connected to the lock which tells the vacuum pump to open the lock. I would unplug and reconnect all wires on lid. This worked for me also check to see if lock lines up with lock mount as well and your done!

Also I'm moving back to Miami Shores Kendall is way to far from everything I do in Miami! Have fun....
Old 11-25-2009, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ponch, thanks , you nailed it I think.. I did remove that plastic trim for my install and I havent put it back on yet.. I bet you thats the problem.. I will report soon, thanks again, Max
Originally Posted by ponch
Has the black plastic liner been put back in place over the trunk latch? Had a similar issue this summer when re-aligning trunk lid and went too far and took entire trunk apart. Trunk would not open except for using the mechanical key. Found that when re-installed the plastic, trunk operated fine. I haven't had any trunk release issues using the key fob, console switch or trunk release since.
Might have been due to the 1/8 thick plastic and latch angle.

Just a thought. Good luck.