Vortland Springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by rennwerkes
You guys are starting to convince me that the camber arms are the way to go even if I don't drive aggressively.
My buddy with an E39 M5 was convincing me it wasn't needed.
Trust me Don't listen to your buddy. He apparently does not know these cars. If you lower these cars there is no other way to adjust the camber. The Vogtlands sit pretty aggressive. My rears are setup nice and straight now with these springs and #4 spring pads all around.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
I agree , get the adjustable arms.. $300 well spent , the ones I got from Leonard are very well made.. well at least I have never had to test their strength .. hope I never will !!!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Trust me Don't listen to your buddy. He apparently does not know these cars. If you lower these cars there is no other way to adjust the camber. The Vogtlands sit pretty aggressive. My rears are setup nice and straight now with these springs and #4 spring pads all around.
You are running #4 pads all around ??? that never seize to amaze me .. I had #3 rear and #2 fronts withe the H&R, couldnt get it right .. then went to #2 rears , #1 fronts.. hardly a difference .. then EIbach #1 all around .. finally...
perfect. I guess it all depends on the springs.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Project C55 is correct, they make a big difference in the way the car puts the power to the ground. Once the camber arms are dialed in properly they enable the car to put the power down in a straight line, which also means you get more traction even with a smaller width tire. A 255 can do the work of a 265 or 275 when camber & toe is dialed in properly.

Also, by dialing out camber from the rear you also dial out understeer and it gives the car a much more neutral handling balance F/R for sportier handling. Since getting the camber arms almost all of the understeer is completely gone (running -0.5 in rear).

Keep in mind though, if you want to run almost neutral camber, it will push the top of the wheel out so you will have to roll your fenders with the Tirerack Fender tool to maximize clearance (especially if you have an aggressive drop).

Camber arms are the only way to go which is why I stated the days of eccentric bushings like KMAC are over, might as well get the fully adjustable arms for same price (if not less).
Old 12-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 E55, '03 Z4
AMS,

You have me curious. The W210 E55 fenders are already rolled from the factory. Are you suggesting rolling further for these mods?

Thanks !

Mike K.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by Mike K
AMS,

You have me curious. The W210 E55 fenders are already rolled from the factory. Are you suggesting rolling further for these mods?

Thanks !

Mike K.
AMGs fenders are rolled from the factory correct, but its a mild roll (especially on older ones). To really get the maximum space you have to roll them aggressive with a true fender roller (not some ghetto baseball bat). Tirerack sells the tool for $350 which may sound like alot, but I can assure you its worth every penny. Plus you can always resell it for not much less than you paid for it (or lend it out to a few buddies for a small fee and it will pay for itself). You can typically get another 1/2 to 1" extra of room which makes a big difference when it comes time to adjust camber.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 E55, '03 Z4
AMS,

Thanks for the clarification.

Have a great holiday.

Mike K.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Project C55 is correct, they make a big difference in the way the car puts the power to the ground. Once the camber arms are dialed in properly they enable the car to put the power down in a straight line, which also means you get more traction even with a smaller width tire. A 255 can do the work of a 265 or 275 when camber & toe is dialed in properly.

Also, by dialing out camber from the rear you also dial out understeer and it gives the car a much more neutral handling balance F/R for sportier handling. Since getting the camber arms almost all of the understeer is completely gone (running -0.5 in rear).

Keep in mind though, if you want to run almost neutral camber, it will push the top of the wheel out so you will have to roll your fenders with the Tirerack Fender tool to maximize clearance (especially if you have an aggressive drop).

Camber arms are the only way to go which is why I stated the days of eccentric bushings like KMAC are over, might as well get the fully adjustable arms for same price (if not less).
good info! Thanks for the springs as well. I love them.

Originally Posted by maxwerks
You are running #4 pads all around ??? that never seize to amaze me .. I had #3 rear and #2 fronts withe the H&R, couldnt get it right .. then went to #2 rears , #1 fronts.. hardly a difference .. then EIbach #1 all around .. finally...
perfect. I guess it all depends on the springs.
And two diff cars C43 vs E55. The fronts a little low so up front I will be putting #5 pads. But I will retain the #4's for the rear.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 12-20-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55, 2002 ML55, 2002 SL500, 2003 CLK55
Here's an update.
With everyone's positive feedback on the adjustable camber arms I ordered up a set from SpeedyBenz (Jeff).
What I experienced with very timely email replies (within a day) and my camber arms in my hands in less than two weeks. Mind you this was during the holidays.
If anyone has been hesitant about dealing with Jeff because of the delays folks were experiencing in the past you might want to give him a try.
As far as the construction of the camber arms goes, very impressive.
Now do get them installed.
One question, AMS, or anyone else that might know, what spec's should I give my alignment shop to use with the adjustable arms and lowered suspension?
Thanks!