Sponsored by:

Another bas/esp/abs post

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Another bas/esp/abs post

So every so often for what seems like no rhyme or reason my bas/esp/abs lights, well, light up. It doesn't seem to affect the car but at the same time I don't go pushing things when they light up either. My guess is it's the good old brake switch just going bad. I turn the wheel to the left and right and although it doesn't reset the light, if I do that and then turn the car off and back on it all goes away. Maybe later the same day, maybe 2 weeks, maybe 2 months later all of the sudden it'll happen again. Lately it's a little more often so the question is do I just go ahead and replace the brake switch now and see if that solves the "problem"?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
This seems to be a fairly common thing. It's happened with my 210. I'm sure some others will chime in that has replaced their brake switch.

Last edited by Esh; 12-16-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jtbeche
So every so often for what seems like no rhyme or reason my bas/esp/abs lights, well, light up. It doesn't seem to affect the car but at the same time I don't go pushing things when they light up either. My guess is it's the good old brake switch just going bad. I turn the wheel to the left and right and although it doesn't reset the light, if I do that and then turn the car off and back on it all goes away. Maybe later the same day, maybe 2 weeks, maybe 2 months later all of the sudden it'll happen again. Lately it's a little more often so the question is do I just go ahead and replace the brake switch now and see if that solves the "problem"?
Brake Switch for sure, very common issue. Cheap - fix autohaus. I recommend buying at the dealer though. Maybe $30 give or take. easy diy

Armani
Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Yeah, the rest of the day it decided to come on everytime I started my car and hit the brakes. So I just swung by the dealer and picked it up for $20. I'll try and get out there to the cold a** garage tonight and get it swapped.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:45 PM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Learned a fun lesson today. I learned when you try to take pieces off the car to get to this switch and it's cold out, well, the plastic tabs holding things in place snap. F-ing great. Now I have to take it to the dealer and see if they can sort it all out. So what should of been a cheap easy job now won't be. Oh well, kind of my fault for possibly pulling a little too hard on cold plastic.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jtbeche
Learned a fun lesson today. I learned when you try to take pieces off the car to get to this switch and it's cold out, well, the plastic tabs holding things in place snap. F-ing great. Now I have to take it to the dealer and see if they can sort it all out. So what should of been a cheap easy job now won't be. Oh well, kind of my fault for possibly pulling a little too hard on cold plastic.
Ouch... Sorry to hear that... GL! and take it easy on the tabs

Johnny-