Sponsored by:

C280 to E55,common a/c isuues,and other questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c280
C280 to E55,common a/c isuues,and other questions

Been looking and found an 01' I may pick up this week. Wanted a 210 AMG for few years now,and my 202 is beat.Do these use the vacuum actuators for a/c and heat control like the older cars?This one has 80k on it, and I want to know if I am going to need to pull the dash like my 202 in the future.It also has ventilated seats,are there known issues with these?I shopped for a car with it specifically,but I am not sure how much flow to expect out of them and they seemed to maybe not be working,but I will play with them more thoroughly. Also the switches for the side bolsters.I guess my main question is how would u op's check the seats?my 280 has no seat options so I am not sure what all the functions are and what to expect. The only option it doesnt have is command nav,which is ok with me.

Last edited by Bleveled; 01-24-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: mis spelled title oops!!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
A/C and heat are controlled electronically. The control unit pulls right out with a pair of radio keys. If it breaks, you should be able to buy another on eBay and swap it. There are two wire harnesses that attach to it. No disassembly required.

I don't know much about the vent seats. I think they are very quiet and low pressure, so it can be hard to tell if they're on.

Side bolsters are a pain. There is a pneumatic Y junction behind the seat that likes to come undone and leak. Remove the back of the seat, plug it back in, and take some zip ties to secure each tube so it doesn't pop back out. Without zip ties, they'll pop right back out in a few weeks. If it doesn't make noise when you try to inflate, though, your issue is with the pump or something else in the system.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c280
Thanks,for the info,my 202 had electronic in dash controls,but the actuation of vents and airflow were controlled by vacuum actuators. When they cracked,the vacuum pump cycled constantly trying to maintain,and the default was center vents and defrost only. Looking around on my favorite russian site for diagrams,looks like these are too. Maybe they are better made,as I don't see them being talked about here much. The parts were 100$,the labor was 1100$,so I did it myself.I am going to go over the car more thoroughly before buying. Any other things to check?Common quirks?thanks again!
Old 01-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
210 is definitely more reliable than 202
Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
I personally don't have vented seats, from what I can tell, the vented seats aren't supposed to actually cool you and are hard to feel. What they do is basically keep your from "sweating" against the seat.