Sponsored by:

help E 50 AMG engine failure....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E 50 AMG
help E 50 AMG engine failure....

Hello i have an E 50 1998 model and my engine started smoking hevally blue oile smoke and i was told that the m119 engine is known 2 rip the aliminium engine block i live in iceland and there are only 8 E 50 Amg cars around so i wont find me a spare engine .. but i was thinking there is one engine i can buy and its from an sl 500 1993 model its m119 can i use the engine block from it without loosing hp ? please help i know my english is bad but im trying :P

Regards Davis
Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Wow, that sucks! I wasn't aware of these engines doing this, learn something new everyday. Have you confirmed it needs a new block? Blue smoke is def oil though
Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Are they sure it's not a piston ring and definitely the cylinder? I would think you could use a block from a 500 or 55 if need be. There are a few folks on here who have done engine work and can give a better answer.

No need to apologize for your English. You write better than many people who "learned" it natively.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 PM

W210 E 50 AMG
im not 100 % sure the block is totalled but they say in the mercedes service here in iceland that its very comon in these m119 mototors maby do to the weather here its often very cold and ppl dont wait 4 there engines 2 heat up before steping on the throtle .. but im sure i can not use a block from a 55 its a 113 motor and very different from the 119 motor .. but thank you 4 helping
Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 AM

E50
I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. If your engine is out of the car and apart, would it be possible to just compare the two blocks side by side? I don't know if AMG did anything to them as I have yet to see an AMG M119 opened up.

I went only as far as removing the valve covers to change a cam oiler tube and I saw the letters 'AMG' stamped on the camshaft. But that's about it.

I hope you get your ride back at the soonest possible time.

I've uploaded a screen shot from the EPC, I don't know if this could help. If not please let me know what you need and I'll try to dig it up.

I noticed that the upper right corner of any parts pic will have an AMG logo if the particular part I'm looking at is AMG-specific. There's no such logo here, but I don't think I can draw any conclusions. Hopefully the more knowledgeable members in here will chime in and guide us.
Attached Thumbnails help E 50 AMG engine failure....-epc.jpg  
Old 09-06-2010, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Originally Posted by David smari
im not 100 % sure the block is totalled but they say in the mercedes service here in iceland that its very comon in these m119 mototors maby do to the weather here its often very cold and ppl dont wait 4 there engines 2 heat up before steping on the throtle .. but im sure i can not use a block from a 55 its a 113 motor and very different from the 119 motor .. but thank you 4 helping

Take care my friend! in owr workshop we have the possibility of open the 2 engines, year are crutial in this cases, firs generation engines (91-92-93-94) are called "closed deck" or dry wall.. second generation engines (same as your car) is called "open deck" or wet wall, to help the refrigeration problems in the first engines.. i can assume the M119 second gen. is the same for the normally or amg models (5.0 lts as well) you can buy a 500 engine but use only the block, all other are different in your car (cams, heads, pistons, con-road, intake, crankshaft, all), only use the block & put all internals & externals of your OEM amg engine.. i have some pics to you, to see the difference in the dry wall & wet wall M119.. (Your engine is wet wall)..

M113 engine is a different story, don't work for you.. And the first gen. M119 can overeat with the extra power of your car & compression rate.

PD: (TAKE CARE WITH THE "EPC" TOO, The E50 amg's in the EPC apper as "E420" designation & not "E50")

Here we go..

More info http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...19/01-1000.pdf

Hope that help

Fabio Daniel
Attached Thumbnails help E 50 AMG engine failure....-m119.974.jpg   help E 50 AMG engine failure....-m119.975.jpg  

Last edited by Fabio D; 09-06-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 AM

E50
Thanks for clarifying Sir Fabio! I get confused too, because the car seems to be lumped in with the US E420 and Japan E420 then E50, as can be seen in the line below the 'Identification Number' section of the screen shot of the online EPC. My only clue is that either an AMG logo pops up or there's an HWA part number.

Also did AMG do anything to special the block? Or was it used the way it came from the factory? Is there anything else to look out for (or jobs to perform) while transferring parts to the new block?

Thanks for the valuable info!

I do hope Sir David documents and shares with us his rebuild should he decide to find another block and transfer everything over.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Basically, engine block is the same, AMG get the extra power with special ported heads & camshafts, hipertech pistons (amg engravement downside), con-roads strongest, re-balanced crankshaft, intake manifold & some peolple tell the exhaust manifolds are different (i see it exhactly same as normal M119, but...) & the final gain power is the exhaust... the final resonator is brilliant designed with 0% back pressure & free flow, also different cats any way the block aparently is the same, the extras is the power gain.. (Attention to the oil pump, different too)

Hope that help, & ask about other question, feel free

Fabio Daniel
Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 PM

W210 E 50 AMG
Hello guys and thank you 4 great answers Im in a little trouble now in my search here in Iceland for a replacement engine block, I found a brand new engine. It was bought by mercedes servise but never used, it has just been standing in theyre workshop for some years, it has every thing in it, alternator, heads and stearing engine. The engine has never been started just brand new, it was ordered to be put in a s 500 class, so its a 322 hp and I can have the engine on a great price. But the thing is I would like your oppinion, should I just use this engine as it is or should I rip it apart and put all my old AMG stuff in just too gain 24 hp if so, cause my stuff isn't brand new, what do you guys think? I will try to insert a picture of the brand new engine Its dusty I know, it has been standind for years. :p
Old 09-06-2010, 11:11 PM

E50
Wow! Brand new?! Just swap it in! Never mind the AMG bits if you ask me! Although part of me would be tempted to swap in the AMG parts to keep the AMG provenance. But then doing all that just to gain 24hp (when the AMG parts were new, I don't know now if you still gain any hp when the parts are old) just isn't worth it for me. Too much work and risk for too little gain is what I think.

Give the new engine a good detailing, pull out your old engine, give the engine bay a good detailing as well, and slap it in! Not many people can say they have a NEW engine under the hood!

Can you please take more pics of the engine? All around?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 PM

W210 E 50 AMG
Originally Posted by bluey280sl
Wow! Brand new?! Just swap it in! Never mind the AMG bits if you ask me! Although part of me would be tempted to swap in the AMG parts to keep the AMG provenance. But then doing all that just to gain 24hp (when the AMG parts were new, I don't know now if you still gain any hp when the parts are old) just isn't worth it for me. Too much work and risk for too little gain is what I think.

Give the new engine a good detailing, pull out your old engine, give the engine bay a good detailing as well, and slap it in! Not many people can say they have a NEW engine under the hood!

Can you please take more pics of the engine? All around?
Yes i will take more pics of the engine comming soon and about the AMG stuff I want to put it in but im not sure its worth the time and money and about the 24 hp , will ofcourse youse my AMG computer (mapping) and i will put my AMG headers on some say its different i was going to put the cams in as well but like Fabio D said it could be risky (but plaese leave a comment on that)
i will keep you posted about my work
Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
This is the correct procedure (To me)

1: Open your own AMG engine & see whats the damage.. (maybe you have a broken piston ring or glued & no need to replace the all asembley

2: If you have damage in the walls, forgot about & change the engine

I know what you talking about, open a new engine is a risk.. but this 24hp's feels like 50hp's between the 2 engines.. beleave me.. i drive the 2 cars & the difference is very high

If the car is mine i opened the 500 & put all the E50 amg engine (internals & externals).. anyway i know is a worth of money and time

Surely i open first the AMG engine to see the damage (Told your mechanic you want to take some pics of the cylinder walls & piston rings and post it here, it can help us to see what you need to make), really is not common a cylinder wall damage in normal conditions in the M119 (in the M112, M113 engine YES, is pretty common) but i'm not sure your problem is the cylinder wall damage..

Take pics with the piston rings installed in the pistons to see they are glued, closed, broken or so..

Hope that help

Fabio Daniel

Last edited by Fabio D; 09-07-2010 at 01:30 PM.