W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not getting floor heat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG, 2005 HD FLSTFI Fatboy, 1970 Ford Torino Cobra 429, 1995 Camaro Z28 (sold)
Not getting floor heat

Hello Everyone,
I just registered on the forum today however I have been getting useful info from the threads for a year now. I have owned my 1999 E55 AMG for a year now and am just super impressed. I tis my first MB, but after the enjoyment I have gotten thus far, I can say it won't be my last.

Anyway, it is absolutley freezing right now and on my way to work this morning I could not get the floor heat to turn on. All of the other vents are blowing strong streams of hot air. I have tried selecting the floor heat (On the 3 directional vent selector button), and tried various positioning of the upper vent dials. Can't get any air whatsoever to come out at the floor. Any ideas?

Thanks,
VH
Old 12-15-2010, 09:51 AM

1999 E55 AMG
I hope that one of our AMG experts answers you question, because I'm having the same issue. I will try the "taking it off of auto on both sides, and then dial in footwell heat" on my way home from work today. Odd that there seems to be a default away from footwell heat when on auto?
BTW, thanks to all the great issues and response that come up on this list serve. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all MB addicts.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13' E550, 14' Ram, 99' E39 wagon
Happens with me as well.

What i did find out is that if you turn the car off and back on again, the heat will then come out of the floor vents
Old 12-15-2010, 04:37 PM

1999 E55 AMG, 2005 HD FLSTFI Fatboy, 1970 Ford Torino Cobra 429, 1995 Camaro Z28 (sold)
Okay, an update. For some reason when I left work on the day I first posted my floor heat worked. The next morning it did not work again, then later, when leaving work the floor heat was operational. ??? The only thing I can think of is that something was frozen (vent selector in-dash maybe? If there is such a thing) and it became free once the outside temp warmed up. The past two mornings have been between 5-10 degrees F. in St. Louis.
One thing I did learn (because I screwed around with the controls for a while when the floor heat did finally come on) is that to get floor heat you must:
-Have "AUTO" turned off, as mls92255 noted
-Have vent selector button (the one with the digital directional arrows) on either the down only, or down/forward settings.
-AND if you have your manual vent dial (on dash, on both driver and passenger sides) set in half way between up(defog) and down you will get heat on the floor and dash, or if you dial it all the to th down position you will get floor only heat on that side.
-The center vent (center dash above radio), when dial up or down seems to have no affect on floor heat.

Alternatively, I believe positioning the manual vents in the "up" positions isolates the windshield defogger.

All of my previous vehicles had the old 1,2,3 blower dial next to the Blue to Red dial for climate controls. But that was before I was introduced to Mr. Benz and his friends Aufrecht and Melcher! :}
Old 01-25-2011, 04:54 PM

Well, been over a month now and not sure what the heck. Floor heat has been working fine since the last post. Frozen? maybe. Did I have it set right before? ........Maybe.

Hope you guys got yours working alright.
VH
Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13' E550, 14' Ram, 99' E39 wagon
Nope mine works when it wants or when I shut the car off and turn it back on again like I posted before. I'm going to try your steps though to see if that works.

Thanks,