W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60

I know we are all proud of our cars, but!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2010 | 07:26 PM

2001 E55 AMG - 2001 E320 - 1990 300CE
I know we are all proud of our cars, but!!!

A word to the wise! Privacy and security aren’t what they used to be. With advancements in technology, enhanced GPS capabilities and smartphones with built-in GPS, managing privacy and security is a fulltime job.

Geotagging is the process of adding geographical identification to photographs, video, websites and SMS messages. It is the equivalent of adding a 10-digit grid coordinate to everything you post on the internet.

Geotags are automatically embedded in pictures taken with smartphones. Many people are unaware of the fact that the photos they take with their smartphones and load to the Internet have been geotagged.

Photos posted to photo sharing sites like Flickrand Picasa can also be tagged with location, but it is not an automatic function.

Photos have used geotagging for quite some time. Certain formats like the JPEG format allow for geographical information to be embedded within the image and then read by picture viewers. This shows the exact location where a picture was taken and if you are not careful perhaps where your car is located.

Most modern digital cameras do not automatically add geolocation metadata to pictures, but that is not always true. Camera owners should study their camera’s manual and understand how to turn off GPS functions.

On photo sharing sites, people can tag a location on their photos, even if their camera does not have a GPS function.

Tagging photos with an exact location on the Internet allows random people to track an individual's location and correlate it with other information.

If you are not careful of the photos you post and someone likes what they see; well, you get the picture!
Old 12-20-2010 | 11:00 PM

2008 W211 E63
Thats good advice. I hate being tracked. i turn off all that crap on the iphone apps. Only locator I have is Mobile Me in case my phone is stolen.
Old 12-21-2010 | 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!

Question

How do you Geotag a picture that doesn't have a background?

For example. If there was a picture/photo of a cars hood by itself and there's no background to it, is that still Geotaggable? Just clarifying. Good info though.
Old 12-21-2010 | 01:04 PM

2001 E55 AMG - 2001 E320 - 1990 300CE
For a good overview of photo geotagging go to:

http://www.digitalphotographywriter....ivers-and.html

To remove geotagging:

http://www.geotagsecurity.com/what-is-geotag-security/

Last edited by ESTJ; 12-21-2010 at 01:06 PM.