Changing Transmission Fluid Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Noticed some hit or miss info here that I wanted to clarify ,

the engine temp isn’t reliable for checking the tranny fluid, the transmission itself needs to be at operating temp. This done through reading the transmission temp via star, or with an infrared thermometer

just relaying the info I’ve been told. My personal experience dictates that the engine temp gauge on the dash is dual function, it also reads transmission temperature.

I know this because when my tranny overheated the “engine temp gauge” would switch between showing a normal engine temp, and then switch to showing an overheated transmission temperature every 2 seconds, so I’m not sure why mercedes says you need to verify transmission temp via star or infrared thermometer, but I do it just in case.

Tranny fluid is tricky, too much and you can cause major issues, just like running too little.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
The mercedes dipstick is useful in the way that it explains the fluid level while hot VS cold. So you can fill it up to the cold level, drive the transmission until it’s up to operating temp, and top off using the hot fluid level