W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60

Rust . . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG
Rust . . . .

Gosh and darnit! Mid-Western road salt is finally taking a toll on my '99 E55. In particular, I note a spread on the front of the back wheel arches. The rust appears to continue under the side "fairing". I also wonder whether "dimpling" of the metal door sill trim has been hiding rust for several years.
Does anyone have experience with rust control, or is it just better to let nature takes its course and buy another AMG in several years?
Thanks guys,
Martin
Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
i have a couple dime size spots but they havnt seeped thru the paint yet .. Which can probably be a worse thing down the road .. But eventually will take it in and see what they can do without having to paint the whole car .. Or hopefully somone bumps me and can use that claim to get the whole car painted lol fixing the small issue that hasnt really started to bother methat much .. Im more concernced with the motor and trans not failing on me .. i can live with a little bit of rust as long as it last 300kMiles lol
Im sure others with deeper pockets and more time will beg to differ though
The ideal thing would be to contain it before it starts spreading because after another winter how we had in the MidWest . It will get alot bigger by next year
Old 03-08-2011, 07:17 PM

2007 E550, 2007 GL450
Martin - I used to have a W210 E430, it began rusting early, even with rust treatment. The W210s were among the worst Benzes for rust, up here they simply aren't around anymore, they've decayed.

Look under the weather stripping around the door frame seals. You will find rust all around there. Same under the door panels (underneath). Trunk lid rim and lock area. Wheel arches. Weld spots.

The ONLY product that I have ever had any success with in terms of slowing rust (you will never really stop it) is POR-15. Buy some, apply with gloves (it doesn't come off) and it will work. You can touch up after applying with paint.

In a bad case with a family member's W210, I simply replaced both front panels rather than deal with the rust. I bought some aftermarket ones, painted them and installed. They have actually held up better than the OEM panels, which is a sad statement on MB's quality at that point.

If you find the rust is extensive, it's time to start thinking of another car. Trust me, you will waste a LOT of time and effort trying to keep the rust at bay and it will more or less be futile.

I've dealt with living in the snow belt/rust zone all my life and I've welded new floors into older MB's to keep them on the road. Those days are long gone thankfully.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Originally Posted by BenzboyW210
Martin - I used to have a W210 E430, it began rusting early, even with rust treatment. The W210s were among the worst Benzes for rust, up here they simply aren't around anymore, they've decayed.

Look under the weather stripping around the door frame seals. You will find rust all around there. Same under the door panels (underneath). Trunk lid rim and lock area. Wheel arches. Weld spots.

The ONLY product that I have ever had any success with in terms of slowing rust (you will never really stop it) is POR-15. Buy some, apply with gloves (it doesn't come off) and it will work. You can touch up after applying with paint.

In a bad case with a family member's W210, I simply replaced both front panels rather than deal with the rust. I bought some aftermarket ones, painted them and installed. They have actually held up better than the OEM panels, which is a sad statement on MB's quality at that point.

If you find the rust is extensive, it's time to start thinking of another car. Trust me, you will waste a LOT of time and effort trying to keep the rust at bay and it will more or less be futile.

I've dealt with living in the snow belt/rust zone all my life and I've welded new floors into older MB's to keep them on the road. Those days are long gone thankfully.

Good luck!
+1 to this reply. A recent trip to IL I saw a W210 E430 so badly rusted I could not believe my eyes. The W210 chassis in the snow \ salt belt does not fair well and probably one of the worst Mercedes models to rust. There has been many reports of complete sections of shock towers completely rusting off. Fighting rust is an ongoing and in most times a losing battle. The scary part is what you cannot see (floors, frame, under trim \ mouldings etc).

I used to live in the snow belt and my cars would literally turn to dust after a few years, it was so sad (depressing)! If I was in your shoes I would buy an old Cherokee to drive in the winter and save the E55.

Here are some W210 rust pics I found with a quick search:

Good luck.
Yasin
Old 03-09-2011, 02:20 PM

1999 E55 AMG
OK, guys.
Thanks for the advice. Luckily my car hasn't progressed to Yasin's status . . . bummer . . . POR-15 is on my shopping list.
Just another aside, I'm pretty good at using the car wash underspray during the winter months, but Mother Nature is fearsome . . . .
Martin
Old 03-09-2011, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yea if mine ever gets that bad time to send it to HoFFa ..
Old 03-10-2011, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by slownrusty
If I was in your shoes I would buy an old Cherokee to drive in the winter and save the E55.
+1

At the very least get yourself a beater. With the new salt being used and the car being 10 years old it will rust extremely fast. I'll use myself as example, I purchased a winter beater for around 1k 2002 Dodge Stratus, slapped tinted windows on it did the timing belt, water pump and thermostat myself and my buddy..oh and installed HID kit and my baby is in the garaged covered taking a nice nap. Just saying.... You couldn't pay me enough to drive a AMG E55 in the winter. The E55 will slowly .... hate you not to mention the sub zero start ups. That alone takes a big tool on a big V8.

Something to think about if you plan on keeping her for the long haul......if not disregard the above

Armani
Old 03-10-2011, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by armaniE55
+1

At the very least get yourself a beater. With the new salt being used and the car being 10 years old it will rust extremely fast. I'll use myself as example, I purchased a winter beater for around 1k 2002 Dodge Stratus, slapped tinted windows on it did the timing belt, water pump and thermostat myself and my buddy..oh and installed HID kit and my baby is in the garaged covered taking a nice nap. Just saying.... You couldn't pay me enough to drive a AMG E55 in the winter. The E55 will slowly .... hate you not to mention the sub zero start ups. That alone takes a big tool on a big V8.

Something to think about if you plan on keeping her for the long haul......if not disregard the above

Armani

Man I've driven mine all winter long daily driver . threw some hankook icebears on it and she been run strong all winter long .. But i really wish i had a beater cuz i really hate puttin it out on those salty *** streets ..lol cant wait for summer
Old 03-11-2011, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by MBFLO
Man I've driven mine all winter long daily driver . threw some hankook icebears on it and she been run strong all winter long .. But i really wish i had a beater cuz i really hate puttin it out on those salty *** streets ..lol cant wait for summer
I hear ya man! I cringed just taking her out last weekend. I immediately went the car was and drove 1/2 mile back home realllllllllllly slow

Cali car- so keeping it salt free

Armani
Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 AM

97 E Klasse 420 Sport/ 90 Honda Accord EX/97 Impreza Coupe
i had ruse in my rear arches and on my driver door under the moulding. was scarey to see the bubbling under the paint of my beautiful car :[