Sponsored by:

Reduce Oil Level Warning Light coming on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
Reduce Oil Level Warning Light coming on

My 2001 W210 has 128,000 miles on it and had the oil changed about 3,500 miles ago. To my knowledge a normal amount of oil was put in and no warning lights came on after the oil change.

Then a few days ago at normal highway speeds (after about 8 min of driving) the "Reduce Oil Level!" warning light came on in the message panel. I checked the oil via the electronic method using the steering wheel buttons and it confirmed the same message. But when I checked the oil level manually it was fine. Also, this morning I drove it for 15 minutes while running two different errands (stopping, parking, starting it again and driving to the next errand) and it didn't turn on until after I left the second place.

I'll be taking my car in either way for this and a few other needed fixes but I was wondering...what do you think could be causing this? A false-positive with the sensor? Because I don't know how the oil level could rise over 3,500 miles of driving...i.e. if it were filled too high when I last had it changed, the warning light would have come on then to tell me the oil was too high. The fact it is coming on now suggests to me that the sensor could be screwy.

Please offer your feedback...thank you.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:29 PM

2000 E55 AMG
I had a similar issue a while back. The dipstick read fine, but the low oil message appeared. I poured four ounces of oil through the dipstick tube, and viola: no more message. Worth a try. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM

2002 E55
How do you check via the steering wheel?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 PM

2008 E63 AMG
It's on the same screen as all your maintenance info...i.e. how many miles til your next service etc. I'll have to go out and double-check the exact button and clicks.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:52 PM

2001 E55 AMG
ruBENZ, the warning light is saying I have too much oil...I don't want to add any.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Originally Posted by T-Roll
My 2001 W210 has 128,000 miles on it and had the oil changed about 3,500 miles ago. To my knowledge a normal amount of oil was put in and no warning lights came on after the oil change.

Then a few days ago at normal highway speeds (after about 8 min of driving) the "Reduce Oil Level!" warning light came on in the message panel. I checked the oil via the electronic method using the steering wheel buttons and it confirmed the same message. But when I checked the oil level manually it was fine. Also, this morning I drove it for 15 minutes while running two different errands (stopping, parking, starting it again and driving to the next errand) and it didn't turn on until after I left the second place.

I'll be taking my car in either way for this and a few other needed fixes but I was wondering...what do you think could be causing this? A false-positive with the sensor? Because I don't know how the oil level could rise over 3,500 miles of driving...i.e. if it were filled too high when I last had it changed, the warning light would have come on then to tell me the oil was too high. The fact it is coming on now suggests to me that the sensor could be screwy.

Please offer your feedback...thank you.
Maybe you hve too much oil Is the level on the dipstick go all the way over the red plastic thingy?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 AM

2000 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by T-Roll
ruBENZ, the warning light is saying I have too much oil...I don't want to add any.
My bad. Hadn't had my coffee yet. I have heard of sucking it out through the dipstick tube with the appropriate apparatus (check with your local auto parts shop) or just loosen the oil drain plug and drop a few ounces. In either case, if you remove too much (low oil message), replace a few ounces at a time via dipstick tube until you achieve the proper level. A bit ghetto approach, but effective.

Last edited by ruBENZ; 06-27-2011 at 12:47 AM.