Sponsored by:

Throttle or Pedal Position Sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Throttle or Pedal Position Sensor?

Hello,

I could use some help. I've got an 01 E55 with an issue that I believe is related to either the pedal switch/sensor, and/or the Pedal Position sensor that's inside the engine compartment; just outside of the sealed portion. I've read a bit, but am getting some information that conflicts. I got a PO120 code that says Pedal Position sensor, but I want to be sure it's the one in the engine compartment, and not the one underneath the throttle pedal. The car even with the issue below, drives pretty normally, until you try and floor it. It then looses it's ability to respond, and I end up pulling over, and restarting the engine. The minute I hit the switch on the floor, is when the problem starts.

I looked at some parts places online, and only found the one that sits inside the engine compartment. Do you have any suggestions?

Also - while I'm asking, I also got a PO341 code, that looks to be the Camshaft Position sensor. A few years back, the dealer replaced the Crank Position sensor, and the symptoms were almost identical to what I'm experiencing today. The car at times will not start. It can take a number of tries to get it running. When it happened the last time (first repair) - it never restarted. I had to have it towed.

Thank you for looking.

backbeat
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55
as for ure code it would be the throttle pedal thats faulty

and wid ure other issue of hard starting but it eventually starts, thats the CAM sensor which is different from the CRANK sensor which was replaced
Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 AM

Thanks, wekE55. Could you elaborate on why you think it's the pedal sensor, as opposed to the other sensor? Also, as I said above, I haven't found that sensor online. I've only seen the sensor that sits near the master cylinder.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55
usually if its the sensor thats by the master cylinder it would throw a code for it specifically which is the throttle position sensor.

the pedal position sensor is the whole pedal assembly
Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
So it acts up when you hit the kick down switch under the pedal?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Thank you for your response, wekE55. I looked around quite a bit, and all I'm finding for parts are the sensors that reside in the engine compartment. I also found the pedals themselves, but nothing really in the way of a complete assembly. Is this a dealer only item? Are there any obvious differences between a failing pedal sensor, and a failing throttle sensor? I realize that the symptoms can vary....
Old 10-20-2011, 06:18 PM

503C43 - yes, when you hit the switch, that's when it fails. It's possible, as I haven't tested it, that it fails when it's close to the switch. I don't know. I'm either half-way into it, or all the way, so I'm not 100% positive. I did find the other day that it will recover on its own, if you feather the throttle a bit and give it a minute or two. The regular power will come back. Or, turning off and restarting, clears the problem as well. Basically it runs with little to no power. Maybe that's a limp-home mode. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 PM

Problem sovled. Thank you for all your help. I replaced the pedal position sensor, and it fixed two issues. The first was as I described: pushing the pedal to the floor, caused the engine to not respond to throttle input, until the car was shut off and restarted.

The additional benefit from the replacement, fixed a problem that was more subtle to me. I bought the car new, in 2001, so I'm familiar with what it was like when it was new. Over the past few years, I found the car to be hyper-responsive to accelerating from a dead stop. It was difficult to modulate the throttle, without causing the car to lurch. It was sort of like letting a teenager drive a car for the first time. I'm sure it wasn't that way when new, so it must have happened somewhat gradually, over the past few years. Nonetheless, the problem is now gone.

I thought I would mention this, should someone else have a similar issue. Thanks for all your suggestions.

backbeat
The following users liked this post:
Lawsco (04-07-2020)
Old 11-12-2011, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by backbeat
Hello,

I could use some help. I've got an 01 E55 with an issue that I believe is related to either the pedal switch/sensor, and/or the Pedal Position sensor that's inside the engine compartment; just outside of the sealed portion. I've read a bit, but am getting some information that conflicts. I got a PO120 code that says Pedal Position sensor, but I want to be sure it's the one in the engine compartment, and not the one underneath the throttle pedal. The car even with the issue below, drives pretty normally, until you try and floor it. It then looses it's ability to respond, and I end up pulling over, and restarting the engine. The minute I hit the switch on the floor, is when the problem starts.

I looked at some parts places online, and only found the one that sits inside the engine compartment. Do you have any suggestions?

Also - while I'm asking, I also got a PO341 code, that looks to be the Camshaft Position sensor. A few years back, the dealer replaced the Crank Position sensor, and the symptoms were almost identical to what I'm experiencing today. The car at times will not start. It can take a number of tries to get it running. When it happened the last time (first repair) - it never restarted. I had to have it towed.

Thank you for looking.

backbeat
I had the exact same issue on my clk55. I changed the Throttle position sensor(next to brake fluid resv). Problem solved!
Old 04-08-2018, 05:29 PM

2004 clk55
What part are you talking about? The sensor under the hood or underneath the gas pedal?