Sponsored by:

Advice/Diagnosis Needed on Trans problem: "lurching in first gear"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK350
Advice/Diagnosis Needed on Trans problem: "lurching in first gear"

I am looking at an E55 with 140k. Owner describes a "Lurching" forward in first gear. Car looks fairly well kept, was in Texas for most of its life. I have not inspected the car.

This is his description of the "first gear lurching":

Q: Can you better describe the problems with 1st gear? Does it shift hard in other gears? As I’m sure you know transmissions were weak points on these cars.

A: It's the same problem I had before and it's an easy fix. It just repeatedly lurches forward when it's in first gear, at around 1100 RPMs. Once you're in second and above there's no problems. I just try to stay out of first as much as possible. It cost less than $300 to fix when I took it in in December.

Q: I’m interested in the car, but need to know more about the transmission issue. Any details you have would be great. What is it you’re going to fix?

A: I'll try to describe the problem:
When you are idling, it's fine, no lurching. When you lightly step on the gas, it kinda bucks forward a little, like it's trying to push forward, then it stops, then it repeats. If you press a little harder, it just pops it into the next gear and stops it from lurching. When I took it in for repairs last December, he told me it was a defective transmission plug and fixed it all for $300 and change. I'm hoping that's what it's gonna be again. It feels exactly the same.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Based on this description, can someone help me narrow this down to a potential problem set?

Biggest concern is trans/torque converter fluid has leaked out and has damage the transmission and I will need to replace it.

I am fine draining and flushing the fluid repeatedly, replacing sensors, dropping the pan, etc. I cannot handle replacing a transmission on a Mercedes, nor would I want to.

Thank you in advance gentlemen!