'99 E55 head light replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG
'99 E55 head light replacement

Gentlemen,
My front right head light stopped working a couple of days ago. I believe that this is one of those maintenance issues which we all will experience, and which may be expensive.
My MB mechanic tells me that the xenon ignitor is typically more to blame than a simple bulb replacement.
Does anyone have advice on non-OEM ignitors as the OEMs are about $400.00?
Also, how to you get the bulb out. I've tried anti-clockwise twisting but no go. There are two torx screws which may need to be loosened to get the bulb out . . . .
Thanks,
Martin
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Your MB mechanic might be jumping to conclusions. Maybe it's not the ballast after all...was the light flickering before it went out? That's usually a sign of a malfunctioning ballast...
It could just be the bulb. Always replace them in pairs!
If the ballast is bad,you can always go aftermarket,plenty of options on EBay and such...a whole set,that includes both ballasts and bulbs.
Mine is a '99,I don't know if yours is different,but the bulb comes out twisting the connector anti-clockwise and then it should have some metal clips that hold the bulb in. There shouldn't be any screws that you'd have to unscrew to get the bulbs out.
Never touch the head of the bulb with your hand,if you do,wipe it clean with a paper towel.
See my thread also :

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...89#post4848089

Last edited by Neanicu888; 06-18-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Put the bulb in the other side and see if it works. If it does, you know the problem is with the ignitor and, if not, it is the bulb.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 AM

1999 E55 AMG
These are good ideas, guys. No, the head light was not flickering prior to non-function.
Good to know that the bulb connector should rotate out; by "connector" do you mean the black ring surrounding the base? I feel unsure applying force to something which may not be meant to move.
If I'm able to get the bulb out, then switching it with the functioning one makes perfect sense to further discern whether it is a bulb or ballast issue.
Thanks for the responses,
Martin
Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by mls92255
These are good ideas, guys. No, the head light was not flickering prior to non-function.
Good to know that the bulb connector should rotate out; by "connector" do you mean the black ring surrounding the base? I feel unsure applying force to something which may not be meant to move.
If I'm able to get the bulb out, then switching it with the functioning one makes perfect sense to further discern whether it is a bulb or ballast issue.
Thanks for the responses,
Martin
Yes,the one that has the electrical hazard sign on it. _~>
Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 AM

1999 E55 AMG
Thanks for the tip, however the connector with the electrical hazard easily lifts off, and does not attach to the bulb for removal.
I'm still stuck looking at the typical end of the bulb, but it does not screw/pop out the way every other bulb I've encountered does. The owner's manual does not cover headlamp bulb change in any detail.
There is an amber plastic collar with torx screws which may be involved, but getting at those screw is going to take a very short nut driver/torx driver because there is so little horizontal room.
Has anyone actually changed a xenon bulb themselves?
I called my mechanic and he couldn't remember how to do it, as he's only changed two in 15 years.
I haven't used pliers yet, as Mercedes engineers these things so damn well . . . once you catch their Teutonic drift . . . .
Thanks again.
Martin
Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the tip, however the connector with the electrical hazard easily lifts off, and does not attach to the bulb for removal.
I'm still stuck looking at the typical end of the bulb, but it does not screw/pop out the way every other bulb I've encountered does. The owner's manual does not cover headlamp bulb change in any detail.
There is an amber plastic collar with torx screws which may be involved, but getting at those screw is going to take a very short nut driver/torx driver because there is so little horizontal room.
I called my mechanic and he couldn't remember how to do it, as he's only changed two in 15 years.
I haven't used pliers yet, as Mercedes engineers these things so damn well . . . once you catch their Teutonic drift . . . .
Thanks again.
Martin
Just post a picture of the end of the bulb with the plastic cover and the electrical connector out of the way.
I see yours is a '99 like mine,I don't think it's different,they came with HID(High Intensity Discharge) not Xenon.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Don't touch those screws. You turn the amber colored ring counter clockwise to the big hole in the ring so you can slip it off those screws. It is a friction fit and may be hard to turn.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Thanks again.
Martin
Yes, I have. Turn the amber collar counter clockwise...no need to loosen the screws...but sometimes its easier.

I swapped bulbs from side to side and neither the bulb, nor the ignitor was the problem. But a bad earth (ground) behind the light fitting.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by Neanicu888
Just post a picture of the end of the bulb with the plastic cover and the electrical connector out of the way.
I see yours is a '99 like mine,I don't think it's different,they came with HID(High Intensity Discharge) not Xenon.
HID is Xenon.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM

1999 E55 AMG
Just to finish this mechanical episode.
Thanks for the tip on turning the amber plastic collar without needing to loosen the torx screws. The bulb came out easily once I knew how to proceed. It was obviously blown. Will replace both bulbs with Philips obtained via eBay for about $80 (for the pair).
A good drive today to all E55 owners.
Martin