Gearbox won't change up on Kickdown!!!! HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2012 | 03:05 PM

E55 W210
Gearbox won't change up on Kickdown!!!! HELP

Hi all,

Car 1998 S210 E55 AMG. 722.624 Box

This is baffling me now:doh:, I wonder if anyone can help with any further suggestions!!!

I have done a bit of Google research but can't any with the same problem, similar but not the same.

The problem.

The gearbox simply refuses to change up when the kick down button is pressed it will jump down to a lower gear no problem but will just hold that same gear till the red line and if I let off the throttle it will change up.

The weird thing is the box works perfectly fine and I mean perfectly at all other times and in all gears and is buttery smooth and not jerky in any way:dk:.

It may be just a coincidence but it seemed to happen after I had disconnected the battery for about an hour to change/fix the headlight assembly fuse box to solve a parking sensor problem. Is there something under there that I could have disturbed?

What I have checked so far.
  • Bought a dip stick to check the levels in the box, which are spot on and there are no apparent leaks.
  • Cleaned the maf sensor with isopropyl alcohol. (Wasn't even that dirty).
  • Did the gearbox ecu reset procedure.
  • Checked the Gearbox ecu under the bonnet in case oil had come up from the plug on the box. Dry as a bone.
  • Checked the plug on the box itself there was a tiny bit of oil on the plug its self. Cleaned with Iso and wd40. The socket on the box also seemed dry but cleaned anyway.

I noticed when cleaning the maf that it looked to me like it had been changed before, could it be slightly faulty?? I would have thought there would be other problems like rough idle, but its as steady as a rock.

I do have a spare gear selector box which I will swap in just in case.

Anyone have any Ideas?? :wallbash:

Cheers
Old 08-22-2012 | 03:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
you may need to replace the electrical conductor plate in the the transmission.
also pull the TCU out to see if it has been contaminated with transmission fluid.
Old 08-23-2012 | 03:39 AM

E55 W210
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah checked the TCU and it was dry as a bone!!!

I guess it could be the conductor plate, but wouldn't it have other symptoms as well like going in to limp mode? The box works perfectly otherwise.
Old 08-23-2012 | 01:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Alldatadiy.com has various repairs and information that can help you! Good luck!