Sponsored by:

Fuel filter problem .. with a twist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E550, 07 E550, 69 Mach I, 65 Hipo, 66 Fairlane GTA Conv, 66 Fairlane GT
Fuel filter problem .. with a twist

I replaced my fuel filter last week. A couple of days later I hear my fuel pump working overtime in a rhythmic pattern (loud for 1 sec the quiet for 1 sec) - not good. So I raise the car a bit and the fuel pump is very hot to the touch. So, I put in another filter and all is good.

Here's the twist. For the two days the bum filter was on the car, my mileage jumped 10% to 15%. This is not based on a feeling. I check my mileage every day as my commute is 75 miles each way and I consistently get 23 to 28 MPG (28.1 high). On two legs with the bum filter I got 28.5 and 29.2. I did not notice any performance drop.

My guess is the filter has a spring loaded valve in it and my bum filter had excessive spring pressure making the pump work harder (higher pressure). This higher pressure had a positive effect on mileage by, perhaps, overcoming clogged fuel injectors (better spray pattern) or because???

Anyway, I'd like to figure out why I had the mileage spike as I believe it due to a fault somewhere in my fuel system. All ideas welcome.