Trans delay 2-1 shift coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Trans delay 2-1 shift coming to a stop

I posted in the regular W210 section to get more responses, but I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this in the AMG section. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ming-stop.html

I've noticed recently that when I come to a stop (driving normal) the car delays in downshifting into 1st gear. Sometimes I get to a stop sign, stop, then when I start to hit the gas(or right before I hit the gas), I feel it kick back into 1st gear. It doesn't happen all the time but has been happening much more often recently. I also get a slightly firmer 1st to 2nd gear shift at times. Otherwise, the car is fine at 500mi. before 150k.

I did a soft adaptation reset (gas pedal kickdown trick) and it did not improve anything.

I first experienced this problem at a much smaller extent when I was in Arizona idling in 110 degree heat 1.5 years ago. I did a transmission service after I got back from Arizona and it had been fine until now.

Few things to note:
- The car is an 02 E55
- 17k mi since last trans service (pan drop, filter, trans connector, 4 qts MB 134 ATF replaced.)
- Trans level is perfect when I checked last night
- Fluid has turned into a gold color, but definitely not black at all.
- Engine mounts replaced at end of 2010, trans mount was recently replaced as preventative maintenance.

The only theories I have come up with so far is transmission fluid deterioration, flex discs worn, or a solenoid or speed sensor inside the transmission is faulty. I will check the flex discs tomorrow.

This member posted in 09 about his problem and I believe I'm experiencing the exact issues: https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...0-722-6-a.html

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Mine does the same thing every once in a while,especially when it's really cold out and the fluid is not warmed up. I'm at 164K! I've read quite a lot about Mercedes's 5 speed 722. 6 transmissions and they can be jerky at times. I'm not saying this is normal,but high mileage will manifest this behavior more I suspect...
An oil pressure solenoid that opens and closes valves in the transmission valve body could definitely be the culprit,but will most likely throw a transmission code if the behavior happened repeatedly.
I remember one time I was driving around 20-30 mph at low RPM and then decided to floor it. She took a few seconds to think about my move and then the RPM went high but the transmission didn't follow. It was like the transmission and engine were disconnected somehow. The car refused to move until I've come to a stop and started again. Then it shifted normally and it never manifested again. I had a generic transmission pending code stored in the computer in the P 0700 range,which are transmission codes. I'm sure a check using Star would've revealed more but I've never bothered and had no problem. I've read somewhere that the code was related to a solenoid in the transmission.
I wouldn't worry about it...