AMG Hesitation Problems!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 10:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55 AMG
Thumbs up AMG Hesitation Problems!

I recently took my 2002 E55 AMG back to my dealer because I was getting horrible "Turbo-Lag!" Ja..I know my E55 does not have a Turbo, but for those who've owned older generation turbo cars, you know what I mean. I'd pull out onto the access road next to the highway, look in my rearview mirror, see the traffic coming up on me at 70+ MPH..and of course..I flloor it: nothing happens for what seems like an eternity (aprox. 2 secs.), then a graduall build up of speed (another 2 secs. or so)..then..off like a rocket, at which point its too late, i.e., all the other cars behind me have come up on my **** and honking, etc.,!
In a pevious weeks issue of Autoweek magazine, in thier owner/auto profile of the new C32 AMG, a guy had the exact same problem and, belive it or not, ended up trading his C32 AMG in for an CLK 430, due to the hesitation problem! My dealer found nothing wrong with my trans! Then..I (I'm an idiot!<G>) "nuked" it out: whenyou pull out in an AMG, and especially in an E55 AMG, there is so much torque on tap when you punch it..that if not for ESP..you'd probably leave 20-30 feet of rubber! Eureka (light bulb goes on over my head)..its the ESP doing its usuall meddling! Next time out, same spot, same situation, I turn the ESP _off_ and then, with some moderation (G), floor it..and...some sqealing..little bit-o-smoke (tire), and I'm gone...REAL QUICKLY! No angry traffic this time!!!<G> Always something to learn heh (too bad for that ex-C32 AMG guy)?<VBG> Thoughts??? Otto