Sponsored by:

WTB-01-02 E55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Corvette ZR1
WTB-01-02 E55 AMG

Hello fellas..New here...I'm here because I'm seriously interested in purchasing a 01-02 E55 AMG and thought the enthusiast forums would be a good place to start..What I'm looking for is an 01-02 model,,preferably under 100K with service records..Car must be mint or near mint...Not looking for any projects..Mods are welcomed and highly encouraged..Would welcome a car with suspension mods/maintenance,,wheels,,aftermarket stereo all ok...Would consider something totally stock and clean,,or tastefully modded...No hack jobs..I'm new to this car,but not to knowing what to look for when it comes to something that looks "cleaned up"..I'm a car enthusiest just like many of you so please don't take offense to what I'm saying as Im sure many of you understand..Just looking to purchase a good car..I have money to spend for the right car..I'm not window shopping..I'm located in central NJ.Will also travel for the right car if needed...If anyone has a lead on what I'm looking for,drop me a line with links/pics/description,ect..Thanks.. Mitsumark@comcast.net
Old 06-13-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
I own a 01 and a 02 e55. one dark grey the other silver. The silver is more common but looks better.

most 02 units came with the v60 phone cradle. you can buy a Bluetooth puck from Keith Valentine and yse the car microphone, speaker and voice command.

The comand Nav is not great but it is nice to have as it was a option. If you want to add a aftermarket Nav it is nice to have the double din opening in the wood trim because you can drop in a new nave unit into the opening. (this makes the phone puck a non issue.) I kept mine stock.

The pixels in the dash die and Max Scroggs can fix them no problem.

If the glass is original it will have a green tint.

check the forward and back, up down on the seat adjustment.

check the front control arms and springs area for rust.

The transmission always leaks a little.

Some rare cars have parktronic. I have one. Ventilated seats are also rare and nice to have.

You will love this car. It is so much fun to drive and when some jerk gets on your tail you can step on it and disappear. I love to watch the look in the rear view mirror and see the guy squint to see what sort of old car just pulled away. They expect it in a ZR1 but not a 12 year old W210.

there was a very nice unit in Washington State.

good luck!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Corvette ZR1
Phil-Really appreciate the heads up...That helps...I'm very familiar with bad pixels in the instrument cluster..Im coming out of a 01 BMW 740i Sport..They are notorious for the same ..Maybe the Bimmer and Benz share the same manufacturer when it comes to dash components...My Bimmer was low mileage, always maintained, and mint...However I found myself working on it more than enjoying it...That era of BMs were plagued with cooling failures and oil leaks..Fix one leak,it would spring another..It wasn't uncommon for new factory cooling system parts to fail shortly after replacement..I loved the car,just got tired of the repairs...I'm hoping my Benz experience is better..From what I've read it seems the W210 platform is very solid...My friends are all asking why I'm not after a 03-06 E55.I did save enough to purchase one...However I've read on those too and I don't feel like spending thousands on Airmatic issues or a possible $7K trans failure...Again,thanks for the tips..
Old 06-13-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
hi mitsumark. I had a o4 e55, lots of service issues. better seats on the 03 to 06 and a better nav. for me the 210 is my weekend car not my daily driver.

I think that the w210 e55 was the last of the hand built amg cars. I was told that MeBz bought AMG in 1999 and the amg became a assembly line.

the 210 has only one wiper.

was 01 the last year of your 740?? do you have a wide screen nav? If you do I would keep it and fix it.