W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60

Powder coating/ refinish stock mono + Temp tire questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2014 | 09:30 PM

00' W210 E55 (sold), 07' W211 E63
Powder coating/ refinish stock mono + Temp tire questions

I want to powder coat and and polish my lip on my stock mono's. Unfortunately it can take almost two weeks for these guys to do it. This guy is a pro but his company is very small and does not have enough people. The price is really good, about $440 for all 4 polished and coated. I have a couple of questions....

It would be ideal to find a set of temp wheels to throw on while waiting. What are some sizes, types of wheels I could put on? I know they have to clear our brakes. 17' minimum?

I want to keep the stock look, Shiny silver lip and bright silver face. Does Powder coating shine? How do they look? How does powder coating compare to stock finish?

They suggested I do not clear coat the polished lips. What do you all think? I stripped the clear coat on my stock lips and have been polished by hand/small power tools and I have to maintain them all thee time and still don't shine the way i want. I know these guys have a pro machine that will give it a very shiny true machined lip. Will it last? Will I have to always maintain? I will always maintain it to a certain extent bc I wash/detail my car often.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-07-2014 | 06:41 PM
ddb

2002 E55
farkis644,

Sorry, I don't have enough knowledge on what sizes will work on a temporary basis.

Powder coating can be done with a glossy finish. I had a set of wheels powder coated about 8 years ago and they came out with a beautiful gloss finish. I'm attaching a picture, although it doesn't do them justice.

Powder coating/ refinish stock mono + Temp tire questions-007ca.jpg

I'm assuming the OE finish on the Monoblocks is paint. I would think that powder would be more durable, but if professionally applied, I wouldn't hesitate to use paint and clearcoat.

I would want clear applied to the polished lip for the reason you mentioned: maintenance.

When I bought my car the Monoblocks were all curb-rashed, so I bought a set of refurbished Monoblocks that I'm running now. They are fine. My plan is to have my original set restored. I want the original silver paint darker (some shade of grey) so that it contrasts more with my Brilliant Silver paint on the car. I also want the lips over-polished to create more contrast with the painted grey center section. I want clear on the entire wheel to keep maintenance to a minimum.

I haven't done any research or found a vendor in my area (although I know they exist). I'm not in a big hurry since I already have a nice set of wheels currently on the car (plus an aftermarket set of TSW wheels that I run during the warmer months). But I am looking forward to restoring my original wheels. Without any real knowledge on pricing your quote sounds good to me. If it is a quality shop I think you have a winner. Keep us updated on your outcome.

Thanks,

ddb
Old 11-10-2014 | 02:24 PM

'99 E55t AMG
Here's a list of 17" aftermarket wheels I was provided by 1010tires.com when I was shopping for winter wheels, it's not considered to be complete, just the brands/models they carry:

Replika R121A (Silver)
Replika R142 (Hyper Silver)
Replika R133A (Hyper Silver)
Replika R133A (Gunmetal)
Replika R117A (Hyper Silver)
Replika R152 (Black)
Replika R152 (Hyper Silver)
Fast Samba (Silver)
Mandrus Rotec (Matte Black)
Mandrus Rotec (Silver)
TSW Rockingham (Matte Black)
TSW Bardo (Matte Black)
TSW Bardo (Hyper Silver)
TSW Max (Matte Black)
TSW Max (Hyper Silver)
TSW Brooklands (Matte Black)
TSW Vortex (Hyper Silver)
TSW Donington (Matte Black)
TSW Panorama (Matte Black)
TSW Tanaka (Hyper Silver)
TSW Tanaka (Matte Black)
TSW Nurburgring (Matte Gunmetal)
TSW Nurburgring (Matte Bronze)
Enkei PF01 (Silver)

ddb, your ideas on refinishing your stock monoblocks are the same as my own, hoping to get this done over the winter so they're ready for new tires in the spring. Mine are curb damaged and in need of some TLC as well.
Old 11-10-2014 | 06:04 PM
ddb

2002 E55
Originally Posted by IanB
ddb, your ideas on refinishing your stock monoblocks are the same as my own, hoping to get this done over the winter so they're ready for new tires in the spring. Mine are curb damaged and in need of some TLC as well.
Welcome to the Forum, IanB!

Love the Wagons.

Keep us in the loop on your wheels. I would love to see and hear about your experience.

Thanks,

ddb