Sponsored by:

burning smell and alot of heat from stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 e55 amg merc
burning smell and alot of heat from stereo

Hi I have a becker stereo with 10cd changer and in last two days the stereo works but if you turn it up it crackles then goes silent then turns off and smells like burning wires in the whole car. Just woundering where the best place to start is as I am a mechanic by trade but never worked on any amg's as never got them in. I have worked on thousands of cars now thought and this is one of my fav cars. I use a few sets of tyres each year though and fuel bills get put in bin or I would die from looking I think. Thanks for any help in advance and any more info or pics needed let me know. Want to put some of my uk spec car on too anyhow. Thanks john
Old 04-12-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Remove the HU, check behind for any signs of heat or smell. If everything is fine, check the amp In the trunk, on the driver's side behind the liner. (Assuming you have the Bose system ). I'd say the problem is either from the HU or the Amp.

Good luck.
Faiz
Old 04-12-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 e55 amg merc
Thanks alot. Yeah it does have the amp in boot. I will be checkin it all over in the day today as just got a flat tyre on way home tonight. Been remaped to 400bhp so just keeps shreadin them