Sponsored by:

Oil change, flush or extract?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 w210
Oil change, flush or extract?

I'm planning to change the engine oil in my 2001 E55. I heard the newer models don't have the drain plug. I want to find out before I waste time to lift it. If anybody can direct me to a diy thread on here. I never had problems changing the oil in my 99 w208, just taking precautions on this w210.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:26 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
All models have the engine drain plug. The newer models don't have the torque converter plug.
I use a Topsider to extract fluid and it's easy, fast, no jacking and doesn't leave a spot. I can change the oil wearing a suit now.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by P-Rod
I'm planning to change the engine oil in my 2001 E55. I heard the newer models don't have the drain plug. I want to find out before I waste time to lift it. If anybody can direct me to a diy thread on here. I never had problems changing the oil in my 99 w208, just taking precautions on this w210.
+1 on what Solo Wing said. I bought an extractor a couple of months ago, it was super easy to use. The ONLY thing I don't like about the process is what to do with the used oil. I do have a recycler nearby, but they told me not to bring it back in the extractor, I guess it was too difficult to get it out, so I have to dump it into another container to recycle. Other than that, I'd swear my oil is staying cleaner since the change, compared to previous changes. I can still barely find it on the stick. It's definitely a more through change, that's for sure.

I don't think you'll regret it, if you decide to get one, but be sure you sort out the recycling matter first. Also, do a bit of research here on the the forum, I remember reading some advice to throughly clean the unit before storage, or the seals could need to be replaced. They might leak. I am a bit concerned about that, because I didn't clean mine.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
I buy the big bottles of oil from walmart so after I finish doing that oil change I empty the extractor into the old bottles and take them to the recycler.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Extracting from the top gets more oil out. The last time I extracted it and opened the drain plug afterwards to have nothing come out.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by illest
I buy the big bottles of oil from walmart so after I finish doing that oil change I empty the extractor into the old bottles and take them to the recycler.
yup, good tip, I was thinking about looking for one with a wide opening to receive the oil.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:18 AM

E55 w210
I finally got my Topside extractor today and changed the oil and filter right after it was delivered. This tool is great, may take a while to suck out everything but it sucks to the bottom of the pan where all the gunk and residue like to hang out. I'm also planning to buy a transmission filter and gasket kit. Any words of wisdom on this task?

Last edited by P-Rod; 10-11-2015 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:21 AM

E55 w210
Originally Posted by benzokirk
+1 on what Solo Wing said. I bought an extractor a couple of months ago, it was super easy to use. The ONLY thing I don't like about the process is what to do with the used oil. I do have a recycler nearby, but they told me not to bring it back in the extractor, I guess it was too difficult to get it out, so I have to dump it into another container to recycle. Other than that, I'd swear my oil is staying cleaner since the change, compared to previous changes. I can still barely find it on the stick. It's definitely a more through change, that's for sure.

I don't think you'll regret it, if you decide to get one, but be sure you sort out the recycling matter first. Also, do a bit of research here on the the forum, I remember reading some advice to throughly clean the unit before storage, or the seals could need to be replaced. They might leak. I am a bit concerned about that, because I didn't clean mine.
I put mine in the shed right after I recycled the oil. You have me worried here. I'm going to at least clean the caps and the mini gaskets
Old 10-12-2015, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 matic
mine has been sitting in my garage for the past 5 or 6 years and has had no issues.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:55 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by illest
mine has been sitting in my garage for the past 5 or 6 years and has had no issues.
and you don't clean it between oil changes? If so, that'll make me feel better about mine...
Old 10-12-2015, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 matic
The first time I used it was on my e320 about 7 years ago, I let the oil sit in the topsider until the next oil change (1.5 years, I did not drive the car much).