Pulley fell off :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 09:40 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Pulley came off.

Hey Guys,

I could use some help!! My car is an '02 w/ 87k miles and has a SC. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the SC, but wanted to mention it. Last week I turned on the car and it was surging and shortly after cut off. I restarted and the CEL illuminated with a P0120 code. I ordered a new TPS and installed this evening. I disconnected the battery and restarted. The car started up fine, but then died a few minutes after. I felt the battery was low on charge, so I cranked the car up again and drove it 15-20 miles. It was shifting fine although I did notice it was idling a bit high and the downshifts were not smooth as usual. When I got back home I reversed the car in my driveway and noticed an audible sound from the engine bay. I turned the car off for a min or two. After restarting I heard the same sound and the idle was very high. I immediately shut the car down.

I opened up the hood and realized a pulley had come loose. I'm pretty sure this is the belt tensioner pulley, I was hoping someone could confirm for me. I included pictures for you guys, if you could please let me know it would be very much appreciated! Zoom in on the 2nd pic if need be, it will give you an idea of the exact location. I believe putting in reverse caused it to come off. What could of caused this to happen? I plan on getting it towed to a shop soon.

Cheers,

-Rob
Attached Thumbnails Pulley fell off :(-img_0542.jpg   Pulley fell off :(-img_0539.jpg  

Last edited by RPB; 01-04-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 AM
RPB

I wanted to post an update. I had a spare min to further inspect things before leaving for work this morning. I first looked over all the pulleys, I was shocked to find the idler pulley was missing. This in turn caused the tensioner to come off. This must of happened when I made it back home and reversed in the driveway. All my accessory components were working fine prior to this.

After checking it appears to be somewhat of a common issue on our cars. The bearing inside the pulley gets very hot and melts the pulley, if I were you I would highly recommend inspecting these components:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...y-grenade.html

Cheers,

-Rob

Last edited by RPB; 01-04-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
RPB thank you for the warning . Hope it is a small job for you ,and nothing large.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:38 PM
RPB

Originally Posted by optimusprime m1
RPB thank you for the warning . Hope it is a small job for you ,and nothing large.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

I was rushing when I looked at the car this morning. I think my mind wanted me to see things and the idler pulley is still in tact after checking again. I still recommend people check theirs and there have been a few revisions to date. The tensioner pulley did come off in my case. I read a few posts related to factory MB supercharged cars that have the same issue right around my mileage. Especially the CL models. I assume the SC puts a bit more strain on things like the tensioner.

I ordered the parts today and figured it would be wise to also swap out the idler pulley and belt at the same time.

Cheers,

-Rob

Last edited by RPB; 01-04-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:16 AM

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
W109 300SEL6.3, W123 280TE, W123 200T, W210 E55
If the bearing gets hot it is defect and makes A LOT OF NOISE prior to melting the plastic of the pulley?! M113 usally are really silent engines ... 4 out of 5 engines i inspect have defect and loud pulleys but their owner didnt even recognize it because they think it is normal...

listen to your engine, it will tell you many problems that can come up in advance
Old 01-05-2017, 04:50 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
God luck with the job .