Please help - Water in trunk :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:24 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Water in trunk.

Hey Guys,

Water is seeping into the upper part of my trunk. I’m pretty sure this has been the case on all of my prior MBs. It appears to be a common issue, but I cannot find a diy on how to fix it.

Can someone please let me know what is causing the leak? All the rubber seals around the trunk area are clear of any debris on both cars. This has been going on for yrs now and is making me grit my teeth.

Any insight would be very much appreciated!!

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited by RPB; 10-19-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Trunk gasket or tail light gaskets. Less likely but possible is leak around rear window.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:51 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Trunk gasket or tail light gaskets. Less likely but possible is leak around rear window.
I’m pretty sure the leak is not coming from the rear window. I stumbled across a post that practically detailed the exact symptoms on my car. The problem causing the leak on their car was built-up debris and dirt clogged up underneath the two plastic pieces on each side of the trunk. I plan to remove these pieces tomorrow. I will post back w/ results.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by RPB; 10-19-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 mercedes e320 cdi
Trunk leak and water on the gps and trunk fuse box

I just want to add my experience and subsequent fix. I had water damage both at the navigation and the fuse box in the trunk. The gps antenna runs along the rear window seal down on the drivers side trunk plastic gutter area at the bottom left(drivers side) of the rear window under the plastic gutter. The gutter to the left of the trunk when the trunk lid is raised. If you remove the gutter you will find the antenna wire goes into the trunk here with a rubber grommet. The plastic wire gets old and breaks and allows water to travel down into the grommet after the plastic dry rots away. This allows water to drip onto aforementioned nav and fuse box which shorts all kinds of components. I had to completely replace shark fin antenna and wire with used/ good condition replacement and feed it through into the trunk with a new grommet and a healthy application of silicone for good measure. If memory serves there is another wire in the same place on the passenger side serving the gps as well so check both sides. If gps is still working you may get away with just applying the silicone liberally. The only time you'll hear me suggest liberalism, lol. I am also getting water under the spare tire so I am now going to check the tail light gaskets as I suspect it's coming from there, however it is bone dry fromThe above repair I made months ago and the trunk was dry for a long time. This water now is not from that repair. As I am finding out, this is a known issue and water finds it's way in to these cars in several different places. If you are not currently having water introduced In The trunk, it may be wise to be proactive and go ahead and make some effort to water proof those susceptible areas. I have gleaned so much help from this forum and I wanted to make sure I gi

ve back. I love my 06 e320 cdi despite her flaws...hey we all have our flaws do we not? Good luck. Y'all let me know if anyone has the same gps antenna leak as me.
The following users liked this post:
dudaronamous (11-03-2020)