W210 E55 steering, seating questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Porsche 911, 1973 Datsun 240Z
W210 E55 steering, seating questions

Hi all:

Have an '02 as my daily, though I'm often in other cars and traveling frequently, so it works out that it's not truly my daily. (Bought it in January and have put only about 3k miles on it since then.) Couple questions.

- Is there a way to quicken the steering? Is there another rack from another M-B that fits, but has a quicker ratio? Might need longer tie rods, but I'd like the steering quickened a bit, if possible. If it's too difficult, I guess I'll dial out a little toe-in.
- Have a frustrating driver's seat issue. Seat back recline will not move and it's reclined in it's fixed position a bit to much for my liking. I've already switched the control module on the door, but no fix. I hear what sounds like juice or a solenoid clicking when the seat back control is pushed either way, meaning there seems to be current going to the motor. Do these motors fail regularly? I've also actually wondered if later, more aggressive AMG seats (like those out of a W204 C63) bolt in. Anyone know?
- The air lumbar system for both front seats no longer works and in fact, both sides' little control panels are flipped upwards. I don't want to force them down and break them, but they don't work anyway. The pump itself under the back seat works; I hear it fire up when first starting the car and for about 30 or more seconds, at which time it stops pumping. Seems like tracing those tubes would be excruciating, but I guess I simply have to tear apart the front seats to get to the lines, correct?

Overall, the car's a champ (drove it home over 1,800 mile last winter without a hiccup) and has been a faithful go-to car when the wife's car, my old sports car, or the temporary ride is not available.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Porsche 911, 1973 Datsun 240Z
next?

Ok, update and need expertise.

Removed the offending seat out, denuded the seat back to get to the damn motor, pulled motor, jumpered it to 12volts (spare batt) and shazam, it works. Both directions. The connector to the motor looked perfectly fine, so I reinstalled everything, put the seat back together (BTW, there's no byzantine like Mercedes power seat byzantine), heaved the 70-pound lump back in the car. The control unit under the seat still clicks like before, so I know it's transmitting juice, but no seat back incline/recline. Where is the fault?