Sponsored by:

Slow E55 w210 "The Fix" that worked!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
00 e55
Slow E55 w210 "The Fix" that worked!

So after logging in into my account after years of being inactive on the forum . I discovered I had a few emails from other w210 e55 owners asking me if I ever fixed my issue. I did fix it in my case and I just want to post my fix that actually worked and completely cured the car of being slow. Keep in mind "The Fix" was done after first replacing and fixing all the obvious parts in the car that could have caused this problem

Here is what fixed it for me:.
Unplug EGRs electric connection on the back by the throttle body unit, and disconect vacuum tube going into egr and plug it or close the tube up so no vacuum can be applied to the egr. Disconect your battery for 2 minutes ,we want complete resetting of the ecu. That is it . I have been driving this way for over 4 years and power is always there. Car will throw a check engine code soon after egr unplugged but don't worry this is what we want. If you get annoyed with the check engine light like I did, simply pull out your cluster and unplug the check engine bulb. There be also a slight decrease in mpg in the city but I would rather take less mpg vs power.
So what happens here is we are preventing ecu from pulling excessive long fuel trim out. In my case it was going to -21 and killing any power after around 1-2 week of driving. There was a service bulletin about the early ECus doing this, and this method is a cheap fix without having to buy new ECU or getting one reprogrammed. Now ecu will pull a max of -4 long term fuel trim.
If the power problem is not resolved most likely you have a bad Maf sensor. Make sure to replace it with Oem Bosch , no other will work properly.
Hope this helps all of you with slow E55 cars!

Last edited by amgalex; 01-15-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Who needs that pesky CEL? Just pull the bulb since it's never useful.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
00 ML55, 00' E55, 03' CLK55
Originally Posted by amgalex
So after logging in into my account after years of being inactive on the forum . I discovered I had a few emails from other w210 e55 owners asking me if I ever fixed my issue. I did fix it in my case and I just want to post my fix that actually worked and completely cured the car of being slow. Keep in mind "The Fix" was done after first replacing and fixing all the obvious parts in the car that could have caused this problem

Here is what fixed it for me:.
Unplug EGRs electric connection on the back by the throttle body unit, and disconect vacuum tube going into egr and plug it or close the tube up so no vacuum can be applied to the egr. Disconect your battery for 2 minutes ,we want complete resetting of the ecu. That is it . I have been driving this way for over 4 years and power is always there. Car will throw a check engine code soon after egr unplugged but don't worry this is what we want. If you get annoyed with the check engine light like I did, simply pull out your cluster and unplug the check engine bulb. There be also a slight decrease in mpg in the city but I would rather take less mpg vs power.
So what happens here is we are preventing ecu from pulling excessive long fuel trim out. In my case it was going to -21 and killing any power after around 1-2 week of driving. There was a service bulletin about the early ECus doing this, and this method is a cheap fix without having to buy new ECU or getting one reprogrammed. Now ecu will pull a max of -4 long term fuel trim.
If the power problem is not resolved most likely you have a bad Maf sensor. Make sure to replace it with Oem Bosch , no other will work properly.
Hope this helps all of you with slow E55 cars!
Was driving my wife's 03 clk 55 and the drive train is sooo much better! I am swapping my car to the 3.06 rear diff. I finally got the TCU programmed to match just waiting to install the diff.

The only thing I don't like about the W210 is lack of a true sport mode. Performance is hit or miss after disconnecting the battery for hard reset or soft reset via TCU. I've given up hope on my car as it is a ME2.0 system and i would need to Swap it to ME2.8 to ever match the way the CLK 55 drives.

Eventually when the motor dies I'll swap to a later M113 with better cams/ compression etc. But it still won't drive the same. I am wondering though If there were a way to swap in the TCU profile from a CLK55 to a w210 chassis car to simulate the characteristics of the true sport mode. I know it has to do with the ECU as well.

Last edited by 6spd; 01-23-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
00 ML55, 00' E55, 03' CLK55
Also, don't some markets not have the EGR system? I wonder if you re-flashed that ECU to a euro spec or vehicle without the emissions equipment if it would have the same effect?