Sponsored by:

About to buy a 2002 e55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 e320
About to buy a 2002 e55

Hi everyone, Im new here to MBworld forums, but usually I lurk around to get information. I am finally able to afford a e55 and I was able to test drive it the other day, and saw some cosmetic issues. The trunk button isn't connected, the rear power sunshade switch is caved in, even though I probably won't use it I want it to make everything just work. the sunroof won't open, probably something with the cable and motor. Also some dead pixels on the instrument cluster. It has the original mats and wheels and they are in good condition. There is some surface rust. the seat contour controls between the center console and seat doesn't work. It drives like a beauty though, completely different than my e320. I am a very DIY person and I would prefer saving money doing it myself over the dealership so I can have some sense of achievement. Any recommendations on what I can do to save some money on parts and the most effective way to repair those problems myself?
Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55 AMG, 2004 Big Turbo A4; 2005 C240 Wagon 4matic; 2001 ML430
I have salvaged rocker switches out of similar models to repair some of those that had broken or didn't work on a couple of my Mercedes. These weren't intended to be serviceable so it can take a couple of tries to get everything back together correctly. Unless you are sure, the trunk issue could be the vacuum pump or line; those are very common problems and easy to repair with aftermarket parts. There are detailed instruction for LCD screen repairs if you Google it, or you can send your cluster to several places that do it for relatively cheap. The sunroof is also pretty easy to complete most repairs, but diagnosis can be a ***** as there are a several things that could be wrong and can be a bit frustrating if you are just switching out parts one at a time. That one might be easier to flesh out with a multimeter and someone operating the switch. There were a lot of small pieces that were changed mid-cycle on our cars so I have learned to verify that the new parts match the old ones before ordering or buying them. I have owned many cars and the 210 chassis are very easy to work on a lot of the components. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2018, 06:49 PM

2002 e320
Sorry, I meant for the trunk button the plastic housing came off the button when I tried pulling up on it. I will post some pictures when I buy it, the guy is asking $4700, and I've talked him down $300 so far. This is going to be a great experience!
Old 05-07-2018, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
I might have a spare trunk switch cover if you need it.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:04 PM

2002 e320

This is what I was talking about with the rear window shade button, I'm not sure what to do about it, I talked to the dealership and the button is not connected to the window switch assembly.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Oh that looks like you may need to get a new PCB board. It fits right behind the wood panel, pop it up and see if the PCB is damaged. I had to remove mine twice when I accidentally spilled RedBull on the shifter and had to replace the shifter not once but twice. (So much fun that was) The W210 is really, really easy to work on, just keep up with her and try to do most work yourself.

Good Luck!

*I already miss my W210
Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 PM

2002 e320
Something that the dealership told em though was that the rear window shade wasn't connected to the pcb, it is on its own electrical connection.