Best way to launch E55 w/S-03 PP tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 01:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 AMG E55
Best way to launch E55 w/S-03 PP tires

Can someone please tell me the best way to launch my 2001 E55 off the line with S-03 PP tires. I have tried with the ESP off and just flooring it. The results were not good. My brother's '94 E36 Euro Spec M3 blew me away by like 3 car lengths off the line. I had way too much wheel spin and had to pull back on the accelerator to get grip before slowly catching up to my bro's car.

I am running on 18" stock AMG rims with Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position tires. I hear everyone saying such good things about these tires but I find my old Pilot Sports were way better off the line. It tended to grip much better without much wheel spin at all.
On the S-03's, the wheelspin seems endless.
Did my car all of a sudden develop a few more horses or did I get the wrong tires? Tread life is better but I'm not satisfied with the performance off the line.

Vic, you have S-03's on your car (albeit on 19" rims). Do you have the same problem compared with your stock Pilot Sport's?
How do you get the best launch off the line with your tires?

I only have about 1,500 miles on my new tires.

Can someone please help?

Regards,
Edmond
Old 04-19-2002, 04:01 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 E55 AMG
Thumbs up

Proper launch techniques seem to vary from car magazine to car magazine but here goes (I have every E55 test by all the Major Mags; only a few however mention thier preferred launch techniques):
Road and Track: Torque Brake; bring RPM's to 1200 and launch!
All other Mags have usually reported the best launchs _with_ ESP on and just flooring it (Motor Trend).
I have a G-Tech Pro and on Dunlop Sp-9000's have gotten 0-60 in 4.9-5.0 secs (80 deg Texas day); 1/4 mile aprox 13.70 at 106.750!
Your tires _definately_ have a lot to do with traction..as you noted!<G> Hope this helps! Otto
Old 04-21-2002, 02:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
A big part on launching successfully is to check for proper track rea tire inflation, start with 28 psi, then star lowering 2 psi at a time if you continue spinning off the line.

Warm up your tires for about 5-8 seconds (yes go thru the water trap and burn them, you are only burning 5.00 bucks on tires every time you burn them, of course it adds up quickly), but if you can afford a MB and want to take it often to the track, there's a price to pay.

I'd also recommend ESP off, no power breaking, use your right foot only (but be really quick), this will give your torque converter the best power band instead of loading it before moving.
Front tires to max pressure allowed (it should be 44 psi).
Old 04-22-2002, 02:50 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 AMG E55
Thanks guys for the tips.

I'll give it a go and let you know if there is any improvement in my starts off the line.

Thanks.