Sponsored by:

Lets talk boost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55
Lets talk boost

So, I finished pulling my AMG, Replaced all bearings and rings, New link-less timing chain, guides and complete reseal. Now I been doing some reading and the information out there is limited at best. I find it's gonna be both cheaper and easier to install a twin turbo setup. Question is as follows, what is a safe amount of boost to add to these engines, and before I put this block back into the car is there a failure point under boost, should I swap pistons etc. from what I can find it seems the whole thing is forged.

Thanks, Also I'm working on doing a DIY Guide for everyone with a video and DIY guide and pictures to show how to do a linkless timing chain.;I find the linked timing chains to be a bad idea since the link could fail and your not even chaining the guides etc.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55
So based on kleenman a safe running number is about .5 of boost for around 130 to 150 hp. I'm looking to avoid the parasitic drag loss caused by a S/C so I should see overall about 170 to 200 HP. Grabbed a couple of ford ecoboost turbos for $100 a pop as they are not know to fail or leak. Will be taking it over to exhaust shop to have them start working on exhaust and I need to start my inter cooling routing since there is a room limitation.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Quick rule of thumb, with every 14.7 PSI of boost you double the HP of an engine. So, if you boosted your car to 8 PSI it should be around 170 HP with the proper intercooler system. If you make a system, make 2 and I'll throw it on my E55 too.
The following users liked this post:
SeanDaugherty (09-10-2018)