Sponsored by:

Rocker replacement anyone?......anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
16V190, E55, Porsches several
Rocker replacement anyone?......anyone?

I put this over on the regular E-Class board for a while.....nothing.....will try here.

I've probably missed the thread because I'm sure it must have been discussed. 2001 E55 and Rockers are essentially gone (this is Wisconsin ).
So....has anyone undertaken this project?......I'll assume the old needs to be cut out and the new welded in but also assume that all of the attachment points will be the biggest challenge?
The local dealership body shop is 'researching'.
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55 AMG, 2004 Big Turbo A4; 2005 C240 Wagon 4matic; 2001 ML430
Is this the rocker panel cover, or the actual metal underneath? The first is held on by fasteners in the wheel wells (front and rear) and underneath the trim in the door sill. You'll need to remove these before you can reach the structural part underneath. The metal will need to be cut out and welded. If this is because of rust it might be easier to cut and grind it and then repair the missing sections. Cutting it from a salvaged donor car might be the best way to go; they are dirt cheap.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:23 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Yep....we are talking the structural metal rockers.
This is Wisconsin and this is a W210 .
It looks like aftermarket steel rockers for the W210 may still be available from Mill Supply........they use to be under $100. so that would be cheaper than finding and cutting a donor car.

Kinda surprised others have not had to do this but........there are not that many (in very good shape) that are still on the roads......and that people are still putting money into.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
1999 SLK 5.5L 6-speed, 1993 300 SE
Your best bet may be to find one in good shape and cut it up. I've done similar things on an older Alfa Romeo. Check out the Porsche 914 forums too, they are ALWAYS doing panel replacements.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by loggato
Your best bet may be to find one in good shape and cut it up. I've done similar things on an older Alfa Romeo. Check out the Porsche 914 forums too, they are ALWAYS doing panel replacements.
Thanks for the suggestion.
However, this is Central Wisconsin, and not only have I never seen another E55 AMG on the road (in 18 years) but I can count the number of W210 bodies I have seen 'in one piece' in the last couple yrs on one hand......most long-since rusted out.
In the past 10 years I have bought good doors from down South......a whole car would be a tad more of a challenge......then disposal.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55 AMG, 2004 Big Turbo A4; 2005 C240 Wagon 4matic; 2001 ML430
Originally Posted by GreggT
Thanks for the suggestion.
However, this is Central Wisconsin, and not only have I never seen another E55 AMG on the road (in 18 years) but I can count the number of W210 bodies I have seen 'in one piece' in the last couple yrs on one hand......most long-since rusted out.
In the past 10 years I have bought good doors from down South......a whole car would be a tad more of a challenge......then disposal.
I think it must be easier down here where the roads don't get salted as there are quite a few that are still intact, and very cheap. Body damage is a more common enemy than is rust, and insurance will total just about any 210 for a very small amount of damage. Wish I could be of more help; there are salvage yards in Dallas-Ft Worth that deal almost exclusively in Mercedes vehicles, but it might not matter if it costs many times more to transport to you than to get the car or pieces of it. I can get a non-running car for about $300; there's even an E420 here for $1200 that runs with A/C; no signs of rust. I'd buy something like that, take what I need and then sell the rest back to them if I were needing to graft parts from the body shell.

Edit: I have seen people part out a salvage car once they have taken what they need and more than cover their cost to purchase it, too, but you'd have to have the time and space to be able to deal with that.

Last edited by NAFT1; 09-21-2018 at 07:15 PM.