Sponsored by:

Trans service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans service

hello,

Question regarding trans services. Looking at a car tomorrow 02 E55 dealer maintained (car fax backs up statement) everything indicates car was really maintained but trans oil was never changed and it has almost 115k miles. The current owner said Mercedes said trans oil never needs to be changed so none of the services had a trans oil change. He said cars shifts fine. Should I be worried? Anything to look for when driving it? New to these vehicles. If I do pick up car is it to late to replace the fluid?
Old 10-06-2018, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
No - not too late - but competent tranny service should be done soon - and with that service have the tranny adapter plug ($14 part) replaced with genuine MB/Mopar part as well. Original spec was "tranny sealed for life" - but that has since been updated.

Correct tranny service now - and let's say again - and again every 40K-50K miles - your tranny will be rock solid forever.

The only other thing at the moment are the condition of the front brake rotors - and when those will need to be replaced - the front rotors are "special" - and front rotor cost is about $450 for the pair. So you should know if that needs to be done soon - or later...

2002 E55 with 115K miles - with proper care can be a "drive forever car"..
Old 10-06-2018, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Fabbrisd1. I ended up passing up on the car. At 1st glance looked really clean but found rust forming between quarter and bumper on both side and the rear wheel lip. I also noticed rust between rear door jam and ground effect. Car felt sluggish off line. Other than the rust forming it looked clean and well maintained. Trying to find a clean car.