Sponsored by:

Help with CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with CEL

Hi All

I just purchased a 01 E55. Well I picked it up from Louisville on Saturday drove 315 miles with no check engine light. Went out to dinner that night no problem. Sunday when I was driving the car around town the CEL came on. Stopped by Advanced Auto (which was painful). The guy said bank one and bank two 02 sensor shows lean condition. He also noticed that there was stored codes for the both converters on the same side which according to him his the driver side.

my question is what should I do to fix this issue? My guess is the previous owner knew about CEL (he works for Mercedes) before and cleared it however I would have thought the check engine light would have came on during my 4.5hr drive home from Louisville. I’m new to these vehicles and want to fix the issue the proper way.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,005 Likes on 781 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Either both O2 sensors are failing or you have a leak in the intake system somewhere. Start checking vacuum lines and look into a smoke test to locate any leaks. Info on the internet on how to perform a smoke test. Also, purchase one of the advanced code readers with the 38-pin adapter so you can use the connector under the hood. Proper diagnostic tools are required for these cars.

Also, the previous owner didn't clear the codes; if he had, there would have been no "stored" codes. Remember, stored means "broke previously but problem went away and is no longer active" (shows as "f" in Xentry) and current means "broke right now" (and displays as "F" in Xentry). Clearing codes completely erases stored and current (although the current codes will immediately reappear until the root problem is corrected).
Old 12-27-2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Either both O2 sensors are failing or you have a leak in the intake system somewhere. Start checking vacuum lines and look into a smoke test to locate any leaks. Info on the internet on how to perform a smoke test. Also, purchase one of the advanced code readers with the 38-pin adapter so you can use the connector under the hood. Proper diagnostic tools are required for these cars.

Also, the previous owner didn't clear the codes; if he had, there would have been no "stored" codes. Remember, stored means "broke previously but problem went away and is no longer active" (shows as "f" in Xentry) and current means "broke right now" (and displays as "F" in Xentry). Clearing codes completely erases stored and current (although the current codes will immediately reappear until the root problem is corrected).
I had a shop pull the codes

P0410 - Secondary Air Injection system malfunction
P0422 B1 Cat efficiency below threshold
P0432 B2 Cat efficiency below threshold

They said they would need to have the car to diagnose the issue. Any idea where to start? Sounds like its going to be expensive
Old 12-28-2019, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
Originally Posted by 2gns4me
I had a shop pull the codes

P0410 - Secondary Air Injection system malfunction
P0422 B1 Cat efficiency below threshold
P0432 B2 Cat efficiency below threshold

They said they would need to have the car to diagnose the issue. Any idea where to start? Sounds like its going to be expensive
My car has the same codes right now and just recently acquired the 0410 code. I know for a fact that my primary cat(s) are dead (I deleted the rear cats) which is likely the cause of the 432,422. They are likely clogged and they rattle like an ancient oldsmobile.

For me, when the temperature falls below 60 the active CEL light goes off. A lot of stop and go causes it to return when cold. Above 60 degrees its automatically on.

In regards to 0410, double check all hose connections in regards to the secondary pump and check valves just to be sure

Im replacing my primary cats mid next week when they come in to see if that solves the problems.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tall Giraffe
My car has the same codes right now and just recently acquired the 0410 code. I know for a fact that my primary cat(s) are dead (I deleted the rear cats) which is likely the cause of the 432,422. They are likely clogged and they rattle like an ancient oldsmobile.

For me, when the temperature falls below 60 the active CEL light goes off. A lot of stop and go causes it to return when cold. Above 60 degrees its automatically on.

In regards to 0410, double check all hose connections in regards to the secondary pump and check valves just to be sure

Im replacing my primary cats mid next week when they come in to see if that solves the problems.

did it solve the problem? Where and what kind of cats did you replace the primary with?