Sponsored by:

Power Steering System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 09:27 AM

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 CL 63, 2002 E 55, 04 Jaguar XJ8, 66 Jaguar XKE
Power Steering System

I am getting a vibration and noise that accompanies a slight harder steering effort. I assume that I have a pump going out.
I have looked and found a new pump, reservoir and hoses as I will be replacing all the components. The 2002 E55 has 116k miles.
Are there only the two hoses, pressure and return?
Is there something else I should be looking for?
Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
Yes, just 2 hoses. The W210 is known to have the rack and pinion go out. Usually start leaking out the boots that cover the inner shafts. I put up with the leak for many moon cycles and got tired of wiping up the mess and adding more fluid. Had an estimate of $1800-2000 to get it replaced a local shop. Did it myself for under $500. My pump was still good. Sometimes the reservoir will crack and leak causing low fluid which will harm that system.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:11 AM

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 CL 63, 2002 E 55, 04 Jaguar XJ8, 66 Jaguar XKE
Thanks for the reply. I changed the pump, reservoir and hoses that go to the rack. There is one low pressure hose that is a return from the cooler that I need to find and replace.
The steering is definitely better. In retrospect I might have flushed the system to get a response before changing the pump but too late now.
I did replace the smaller idler pulley but not the tensioner pulley. I think one of those are in my future as there is still a noise (whine) that changes with engine speed.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? Those are very handy to listen to the engine or parts with bearings. Harbor Freight sells them pretty cheap. Only need to touch the diagnostic probe to the bolt holding the pulley on and listen through the ears (safer than a long screw driver). The M113 engine sounds like no other engine or vehicle I've owned or driven. I thought the whining sound was weird when I first bought it but have heard all others online sound the same. ...Its just the beautiful, hand-built magic which I never heard before until that incredible June day in 2015 when I met my E55!

The car sounds even better since I recently removed secondary CATS and resonator, adding an Xpipe!