Mercedes Poor phone design

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by E55Soon
True that Beemers don't have a physical keypad to dial, but the truth is that keypad dialing is a rarity for most drivers. My VRS system in my 03' E55 works well enough to dial numbers all the time. Also: most of the people I call are people I go to the trouble of programming in my voice speed dial list so I personally do little key pad dialing. BTW W210, you should know that the Beemer btooth system allows connectivity with a fairly wide array of cell phones. What's more, new Beemers can accomodate up to 4 different phones "mated" to each car...That's cool!
I believe for most drivers that actually use car kits, keypad dialing is not a rarity. Sales account managers and other people who talk quite a bit in their cars are often calling new accounts and other customers and have to dial the number. True that voice recognition makes it easier, but most poeple who spend $2000 on getting a kit installed don't want to spend another $500+ just for voice recognition.

I talk almost daily with a pretty large set of Mercedes in-car phone users, and I think statistically I can report on the general demographics of the people using the cars! Somewhat surprisingly, the large majority of these users are not internet forum users, so their desires and usage tendencies don't end up documented here.

-s-
Old 03-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by scorchie
I believe for most drivers that actually use car kits, keypad dialing is not a rarity. Sales account managers and other people who talk quite a bit in their cars are often calling new accounts and other customers and have to dial the number. True that voice recognition makes it easier, but most poeple who spend $2000 on getting a kit installed don't want to spend another $500+ just for voice recognition.

I talk almost daily with a pretty large set of Mercedes in-car phone users, and I think statistically I can report on the general demographics of the people using the cars! Somewhat surprisingly, the large majority of these users are not internet forum users, so their desires and usage tendencies don't end up documented here.

-s-
I have had bluetooth and I was not very happy with it, at least the Lexus engineering. I was not able to dial a number from the car's keypad while moving. That became a major problem and totally overshadowed the convenience of the automatic connection when entering the car. Hopefully, MB won't play the nanny game if they design a BT system.