Air Box Questions W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Air Box Questions W211

what does thermo tec'd air box consist of?
and air box spacers?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E55 k2; Ford GT
you can take the air boxes out of the car after removing the hex screws that hold in the air filters. They will pop out. You then take some insulation material and tape it to the sides and bottom of the air boxes. Insulation tape is often used because it is easy to work with. This is what I initially did, however, the tape itself does not work all that well. I re-did mine with a thick high temp insulation material that I glued on. This seems to have helped keep the air boxes at a little lower temp than before.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by saber
you can take the air boxes out of the car after removing the hex screws that hold in the air filters. They will pop out. You then take some insulation material and tape it to the sides and bottom of the air boxes. Insulation tape is often used because it is easy to work with. This is what I initially did, however, the tape itself does not work all that well. I re-did mine with a thick high temp insulation material that I glued on. This seems to have helped keep the air boxes at a little lower temp than before.
I wasn't impressed with the adhesive tack of the Thermotec product either. The first lot wouldn't stick, so they replaced it, I did a light sanding on the bottom of the box and then cleaned it with alcohol. Sticks better but not great.