Sponsored by:

Anyone tried REAL slicks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E63
Originally Posted by dgussin1
tons of people do that. I don't know what you're talking about. Go to the track and look for the street cars that run with slicks. Most all run with et streets in the back and factory radials up front. Driving with skinnies in the front is "more dangerous" because they are much more unstable and harder to control.
Two things. One, things must be different at your track because I've rarely seen that combo around here. Two, you're likely to see any number of stupid things at open track nights because anyone can show up and run and there is very little tech (again, at least around here). So you see people running crazy tire pressures (high or low), driving through the waterbox and launching without drying the tires, or whatever. I will say you're the first person I've ever heard claim that using bias ply fronts with bias ply rears is more dangerous than using radials in front. I've never run a radial/bias ply combo, but I'm basing my comments on some friends who have, and who are pretty serious racers (9's & 10's). They tell me it's not a good idea, to say the least.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by R. Range
JMO, but that's rather like saying cigarettes are safe because my grandfather smoked unfiltered Camels for 50 years and died of old age at 93. Not everyone who runs radials in front with bias plies in the back is going to have a problem, but I think you'll have a hard time finding many serious drag racers who will recommend the practice. I can definitely put you in touch with a few people who say the mix almost got them killed when the rear started wandering at high speed while the front stayed firmly stuck to whatever groove the radials were tracking. Not worth the risk IMO.
I've frequented the track for over five years, and aside from serious racers with skinnies up front and slicks in the rear, everyone I know has used stock wheels/tires in the front and drag radials/slicks in the rear. Never a single problem.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:48 PM

'10 E63
Originally Posted by Kompressor Man
I've frequented the track for over five years, and aside from serious racers with skinnies up front and slicks in the rear, everyone I know has used stock wheels/tires in the front and drag radials/slicks in the rear. Never a single problem.
There wouldn't be a problem with drag RADIALS in the rear; the issue is using bias-ply slicks in the rear with radials in the front. Other people can run ATV tires as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't run that combo.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLC300 sport
Originally Posted by R. Range
Two things. One, things must be different at your track because I've rarely seen that combo around here. Two, you're likely to see any number of stupid things at open track nights because anyone can show up and run and there is very little tech (again, at least around here). So you see people running crazy tire pressures (high or low), driving through the waterbox and launching without drying the tires, or whatever. I will say you're the first person I've ever heard claim that using bias ply fronts with bias ply rears is more dangerous than using radials in front. I've never run a radial/bias ply combo, but I'm basing my comments on some friends who have, and who are pretty serious racers (9's & 10's). They tell me it's not a good idea, to say the least.
running 9's and 10's are way different then running low 11's/high 10's. I would not run a street radial on a 9 second car. lmao. you are confusing street cars with race cars.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:19 AM

'10 E63
Originally Posted by dgussin1
running 9's and 10's are way different then running low 11's/high 10's. I would not run a street radial on a 9 second car. lmao. you are confusing street cars with race cars.
These are street cars under any definition I would know to use. Full bodied, full weight, full interior, a/c, stereo, and driven to the track. Just very powerful street cars. Lots of people have run 9's on BFG drag radials; they hook almost as well as ET Streets. I think the record pass is still a high 7 at around 180 that Big Daddy Gutridge turned last year.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Here's what I think I have learned so far about our situation.

I think the biggest thing that is killing us is our 18" bling bling rims with tiny sidewalls. There is nowhere for the shock of launch to go to and it translates to tire spin. I believe if I could put a smaller rim like a 16 on the 55 WITH Drag Radials, I think I would get the hook up I am looking for. Guess I was thinking it was the tires, when it really is the rims.

We all have seen the famous "wrinkled sidewall" drag slick pics on launch....my point exactly. Torque of launch is transferred to wrinkle in sidewall, then tire gives some energy back when it straightens, thus less tire spin and better ET.

Now I am right back to where I friggin started from unfortunately...where the he)* do I find 16 or 17 inch rims for a 55.....THAT are wide enough. Lots of 7.5 out there, but not many 9 inchers. Remember....we need 5-112 pattern AND correct offset....about 30mm.

Any input..fire away.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:46 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Call CCW at 1-888-577-0144 and get a quote on a custom pair to your specs. Others may be interested. http://www.ccwheel.com/street/files/contact/main.htm
Old 03-22-2005, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Just called..John was awesome. Totally gets what we want to do.

Only quote that scared the he)( outta me...he says " better bring a shovel, cause if you hook those things up too much, you're leaving a pile of 55 rear end pieces on the track"

Yikes...how much is a rear if I ever fry one?

Last edited by Jakpro1; 03-22-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Group buy.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Just called..John was awesome. Totally gets what we want to do.

Only quote that scared the he)( outta me...he says " better bring a shovel, cause if you hook those things up too much, you're leving a pile of 55 rear end pieces on the track"

Yikes...how much is a rear if I ever fry one?
I don't know, but I do know someone blew their E55's rear at ATCO Raceway last year. Exploded all over the starting line.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:55 PM

2002 MB E55 AMG
... and I posted last season about a modded W211 on DR's that blew it's differential at Englishtown - took it to a factory shop for warranty repair and they laughed. Story from the mech. at the shop.

TJC
Old 03-22-2005, 09:59 PM

AMG GTS
When I picked up my car from RENNtech Juergen the owner was telling me he put some slicks on a E55 and took it to the track and exploded the transmission..He told me don't do it it will break something..FWIW..
Old 03-22-2005, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Called just for fun today

New Tranny = 5-6K
New Dif = bout 3K

Guess I am gonna run a set of rims with Drag Radials and shut my mouth.

Giving up my quest for the perfect hookup....just not worth roasting the trans or rear......who knows.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 03-22-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:52 AM

2005 Kleemann Stage 3 E55
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
Group buy.
group buy--hah hah
Old 03-25-2005, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Guys I know you are all on this quest for LOW ETs, and even though it's been said many times, I have to say it again - the E55 is not a drag car!!! The damn thing weighs 4000lbs... you hook hard with a 4000lb car and you ARE going to break stuff, expensive stuff. If you hook your drivetrain has to accelerate 4000lbs with 500+tq off the line and that is just absolutely KILLER for it. I would not even fathom putting slicks on the car in the hopes for a lower ET... slicks are for race cars, what good is an ET if you can't do it on the street? Is an a .5 better ET worth risking (and we're talking a realistically dangerous risk) $7000 worth of drivetrain parts? I know everyone wants to go fast but let's be realistic here.

MPH (horsepower) is going to be the way to go for lower ETs once you are in the 1.6 second 60' range... you need more power. Period. Already cutting 1.6s is something I'm sure the drivetrain is not too fond of... I've seen cars make 1500hp on a diff, then I see the same car, with only 600hp, break the same diff by just launching hard on slicks at the 'strip.

Just my $.02

-m
Old 03-25-2005, 07:17 PM

2005 Kleemann Stage 3 E55
Well put. You concerns for all of us are duly noted by this guy.