Any of you guys ever get wheel hop???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Any of you guys ever get wheel hop???

Maybe it's an LSD thing huh? I was practicing launches on PS'2 and all the sudden...BANG BANG BANG (typed that all caps)..let off immediately but scared the he$%l outta me...no damage to trans or rear, but I must admit I am pretty scared of that happening with more sticky tires. What the heck is hop anyway.

Thought maybe some of the Vette or Viper guys would know.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2005, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Maybe it's an LSD thing huh? I was practicing launches on PS'2 and all the sudden...BANG BANG BANG (typed that all caps)..let off immediately but scared the he$%l outta me...no damage to trans or rear, but I must admit I am pretty scared of that happening with more sticky tires. What the heck is hop anyway.

Thought maybe some of the Vette or Viper guys would know.

Thanks
You might want to contact Fast55 he has a 210 55 s/c and is having the same problem.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I hate to tell you but in limited experience with wheel hop it had to do with too soft springs or incorrect shock valving. My Vette is extremely stiff and I have had no problem even with 315s and LSD at 550+RWHP. My old Fords and a Chevy required a ton of rear suspension work to keep the wheels planted. I would suggest talking to Kleemann (?) or who made your LSD. They will have the answer.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Jackpro1,

I've dealt with wheel hop too, it can be caused by many things including the surface you are driving on. Try using Sport1, Sport2, and Comfort modes to see if it alters the tendancy to wheel hop. Try different surfaces. Sometimes imperfections on the surface of the road can induce it, so don't be too scared. Wheel hop will kill a differential before anything else, but the Kleeman should be able to take some abuse...

-m
Old 03-25-2005, 12:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLC300 sport
get some sticky tires and you wont ever hop again. The bfg drag radials work wonders, but only last 2-3K miles.