Sponsored by:

Bi-Xenon Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bi-Xenon Question

Hi,

I have a quick question for the lighting experts out there. I recently traded my 2002 BMW M5 for a 2005 E55. While in many respects it was not easy to get rid of the M5, I am very pleased with the new E55. I have only had 1 week with the new car, and I would like to post some comparisions I have made in the next week or so.

However, I have a question about the xenon lights on the new car. I have xenon lows on our X5. This is what the M5 came with as well. However these are only for the lows, the highs were halogen. The lights on the new E55 are without question the finest I have had, especially the highs. I have noticed that when the high beams are switched on, the inner lamp cluster lights up quite intensely. I was under the assumption that on xenon highs there was some type of lens that moved to provide more light. I think that this is how Porsche does it & I know that on later BMW's that is how it was done as well. If this same type of system is employed by Mercedes, why do I see such a huge amount of light out of the inner lamps? I thought that when you used the "flash" (just pulling on the light stalk) it only activated a halogen bulb. But it seems to me that when you pull or push on the light stalk, the same bulb is activated. So can anyone explain to me exactly how the bi-xenon on this car actually functions?

Thanks so much!

Frank
Old 04-12-2005, 03:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by frankdds
So can anyone explain to me exactly how the bi-xenon on this car actually functions
low beam: 1) xenon bulb only

high beam: 1) xenon bulb in combination with a plate that tilts down inside the projector to let more xenon light exit the projector
2) (the regular high beam) halogen bulb in addition

greetingz,